Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

So, I've got teh XBox LAN'd to the PC - what next?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2004, 06:32 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well, after sorting my little issue, just one question - what can I do with it?

I've obviously been cleaning up things like the Skins Folder (Slayer Disk), but what can I do about organising my Games, etc...

How about Emulators (speccy, Atari C64 etc) and other applications?

What do you lot do with your linked XBoxes?

Cheers

Dan
Old 10 January 2004, 07:49 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

1). Put orig games away safey and copy them to the XBox harddisk. Std disk gives about 6Gb free. Games can be anything from just under 1Gc to well over 5Gb (PGR2) so to do much of this obviously need a bigger hard disk - you can at least store copies of your Game DVDs on your PC though - for when you lose that orig DVD or get a bigger HD.

2) Media Player using XBMP

I can play any of my CDs as MP3s from my server (Always on PC in loft). Slect your favourite tracks from loads of albums in one big playlist and let it loop indefinitely.

MY xbox has a dig audio connection to my AV amp and I'm also getting good result playing DivX movies with full 5.1 surround sound. Obvioulsy I've only my ripped my own DVDs to save the originals and wouldnt dream of ripping my mates and/or hire dvds.

Wife also likes the ability to play Image slideshows of all our dig pics (which also happen to be on the server)

3) Download free games
There are a few freebie games around for the xbox. Blateroids etc. Spent a couple of hours playing Doom again the other day - just need to find my old copies of the full version WAD file though. Also Duke Nuke'm

4) Get Mame
Also spent several hours playing some of my old arcadr classics - Iron Man's Stewart Off-Road in particular via Mame. (MameX - could get MAMEoX working)

5) Follow Mr Cookie's instruction for getting PGR2 fully unlocked using a different profile he gave a link to. And then play on-line - several alternatives to x-box live have been discusses here recently.

But backup it up first ;-)

Deano

[Edited by dsmith - 1/10/2004 7:50:50 PM]
Old 10 January 2004, 09:33 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Same as Deano really

Emulation of Mame (1941, Track and Feild), Amiga (sensible soccer, turican), SNES, Neogeo

XBMC (used to use XBMP but windows shares (SMB) doesn't work for me on linux server) to play mp3's (all my original cd's are boxed up in attic, movie files (avi,divx,xvid,mpg,wmv,mov), view pics if needed.

Si
Old 11 January 2004, 10:44 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Question

I've actually put in a bigger HD using The Slayer Disk, and have a few games running off it (CMR4, PGR2, SPlinter Cell, Rayman, DOA3 etc)

But after looking at the XBox in Explorer, the HDD installer package, seems rather sloppy as to organising the games - there's no Games folder per say.

I've got it digi-linked to my DTS Amp, so am getting the full effect from PGR2

I'd like to play online, but I've only got Dial up Will PGR2 run using Dial up - if so, how

Will have to look for some links for Mame stuff.

Can I, say, have a folder on the PC that the XBox can access - one that has a load of MP3s, piccies, Xbox games etc?

SOrry about all the questions, but I'm relatively new to networks (I'm a user, rather than an adminstrator @ work - all I need to know!!) I've got one on my Mac and PC, but obviously, XBox is a different kettle of fish!!!

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 11 January 2004, 11:22 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Can I, say, have a folder on the PC that the XBox can access - one that has a load of MP3s, piccies
Yes, you need to edit the config.xml file for XBMP telling it where the share is located.