Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which Photo Printer (bordered prints)?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2004, 01:48 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone suggest a good colour photo printer (budget up to £200, but prefer to pay less) which can print photos WITH borders?

Am tempted by the Epson Photo 950 or Canon i865, as I've seen deals for them in the January sales, but I don't know if they can 'add' borders to photos.
Old 03 January 2004, 02:31 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

all printers can add borders....

BB

the epson 915 is good value, if you can still get them..

BB
Old 03 January 2004, 02:32 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

when i say add borders, i mean with software, not direct from card.

didnt realise this might be what you are asking...

BB
Old 03 January 2004, 01:39 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Want you probably want is a printer that can do borderless, i.e. right up to the edge of the paper but actually print a border up to the edge with the actual photo inside ?

If so, i9xx series printers do this as I think some i8xx series do. You would have to check.

Canons come with some software called PhotoRecord (usually version 1.6 but version 2.0 is available to download as a free upgrade) that allows you to drag and drop images onto pages to create albums, add borders, frames, lines on the pages etc. Very handy and does an excellent job. You can of course just print off a single image with a border, select borderless printing and bobs your uncle.

Of course, you could do the borders thing by hand in Photoshop/PaintShop but I guess you are not after this.

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 January 2004, 02:06 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

have been looking at the hp 7660 seems good for about 140pounds, has card readers for all media and apparently very good from what i have read
Old 03 January 2004, 02:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Just got a Canon i965...Superb It prints right up to the edges of the page (i.e no white bits). It's currently the highest resolution domestic Inkjet printer

Comparing to the HP's top-line inkjets The print quality is far superior - with the HP printers you tend to get little pink dots on the grey/white areas. It's also far faster printing photos - but is slower on draft modes. Paper handling is not as good as the HP's either (it's chewed up to pages already - ok it was scrap paper, but never had a problem with the HP's at work). But on the flip side you can print directly onto compatible CD's and onto 6"x4" photo cards.

HP printers leave an irrittaing 1" at the bottom of the page and don't use seperate ink tanks - meaning when you run out of yellow you have to replace the whole lot (£28) Cannon i965 has 7 seperate ink tanks so if you run out of yellow...you just replace the yellow (£8)!

The top-line Epson inkjets are lower quality when compared to HP and Canon. they also have similar paper handling issue to the canon, but I think they can also print right to the edges of the paper - depending on the model.

Hmmm, I should start a review column in the local rag