Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I may have a virus!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2003, 03:46 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I turn my computer on it trys to dial up automatically and the Norton antivirus logo dosent appear in my taskbar until I either,(a) cancel the dial up screen or (b) let the computer dial up and send out info. If I let the computer dial up it dosent try it again for a couple of days, but if I cancel its attempt,it trys to dial up everytime I turn the machine on. My antivirus software is up to date, but I have very strong suspicions there is a sinister programme in my machine. Is there any way to get rid of this without having to reinstall Windows? I have also noticed when I do a disc clean up there is a Content.IE5\index.dat temporary internet file I cannot delete which contains 3.45MB.
Old 21 December 2003, 04:03 PM
ChrisB

Any idea of what number it's dialing?

Is it an IE / Windows dial-up box or A.N. Other? That does sound suss though...
Old 21 December 2003, 04:08 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris. It dials up to my ISP provider and then sends out info.
Old 21 December 2003, 06:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Clubscene

If you can, download and run Spybot. Spybot is designed to remove spyware and other junk programs such as automatic dialers. It has an option to run on start up when it discovers programs such as the sort of thing you have described. By running first, Spybot stops the suspect program from running and deletes it.

I reckon this is worth a try.

Chris
Old 21 December 2003, 07:28 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris. I have downloaded, installed and scanned system with new software. It did find quite a few rogue programmes, but my computer is still trying to dial up on start up! Is there any way I can find the programme responsible for this?
Old 21 December 2003, 07:39 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Maybe your AV software is trying to do a live update?
Old 21 December 2003, 08:39 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Nope, because it still tries even with Norton Update deactivated
Old 21 December 2003, 09:36 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Clubscene,

is this Norton 2004 by any chance??

I "upgraded" to it a couple of months ago, and find it the most appauling piece of software that i have ever installed.

I too had it continually trying to connect to the Internet, both during the installation and a multiple repeated times when simply using my computer. It would FORCE a connection whenever i started my computer, it would FORCE a connection when i tried to right-click the icon to turn the damn thing off, and it would FORCE a connection in the middle of the night (which fails as connection to my ISP needs a password) and thus would cause my PC to hang or crash.

I eventually managed to find (on the Symantec "maze of twisty passages all alike" support web-site) the probable cause of (this particular) problem.

From Internet Explorer, click the menu Tools->InternetOptions, then take the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security section and UN-CHECK "Check for publisher's certificate revocation".

Should sort out the perpetual connection attempts, but for me, i still have regular hangs, crashes due, afaiac, to the Norton trash software [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

mb
Old 22 December 2003, 06:07 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Thanks a million MB that has solved it! I have Norton 2003, no probs apart from this 1.

Simon
Old 22 December 2003, 11:19 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Simon,

i am glad that it worked

I had better tell my mum, as she uses Norton 2003!!!

mb