Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP File Sharing Permissions

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2003, 07:20 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question about file sharing on xp which has got me beat. I have 4 computers, we'll call them Bart, Homer, Marge and Maggie. Now say theres a folder on bart which i want to share but only want users of that machine and users on maggie to have access. Im guessing if they were on a domain (which theyre not but they are on the same workgroup) this would be possible via the security tab but as it stands at the moment i cant see the other computers on that tab... Any ideas?
Old 25 November 2003, 10:32 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probably going to lead you up the garden path here as I have XP as a member of a domain but try this. Open explorer, right click on the folder you want to share, choose sharing and security, clikc the radio button "share this folder", give it a name ( putting a dollar sign after it will hide it from browsing ) , choose permissions, click add, click on the object type and choose computer, select the computer you want and add it and choose the level of access you need. If this doesnt work then sorry for wasting your time as it might only be an option in Active directory?