Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Are scart splitters any good?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2003, 11:01 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just bought a new DVD player, and unfortunately the DVD player and my PS2 will only work properly (i.e. decent picture) when plugged into the AV1 scart socket of the TV.

If I plug either into the AV1 of the video the picture is crap (PS2) and multicoloured (DVD).

I have found a few 2 way scart splitters, but wonder if the picture is still good using them?

Anyone used one? If so do they auto switch or do you have to move a switch manually?
Old 19 November 2003, 11:22 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
AV1 is normally the best socket as it's usually RGB, and AV2 onwards aren't.

My TV has 4 AV channels (3 SCART on the back) and the usual s-video sockets on the front for camcorders etc... In my opinion these s-video sockets are best for PS2. I used to have the PS2 connect via SCART but fine detail was non-existant - when playing GT3 I couldn't read lap times etc - using the s-video connection makes them crystal clear.

check your output settings of both the PS2 and DVD - RGB gives the best picture (although open to debate) BUT make sure your using decent sockets - check the socket to see how many pins they have, if any are missing (like on the standard PS2 cable) the best advice I can give is throw it in the bin.
Old 19 November 2003, 11:26 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

The scart splitters I have seen, generally degrade the picture quaility slighty. Not as good as a straight connection.
Old 19 November 2003, 11:45 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I've used both multi scart splitters available from Argos. Both are very good value IMHO. Both of them operate by you selecting the channel you want.

If you want an auto switching one, you are looking at a lot more money!!!!

The one I currently use is this one. If the link doesn't work, it's product code 534/1922. All the scart sockets are fully switched so good pic quality on all of them
Old 19 November 2003, 11:52 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Messiah, I use the gold Blaze scart for the PS2 and the picture quality is superb, especially compared to the standard cable.

It is unfortunate in that the video is a Q-link thing, so has to go to AV2 on the TV, from AV1 on the video. This only leaves me with AV1 on the TV and AV2 on the video.

Initally I had the DVD going to AV1 TV, and the PS2 going to the AV2 on the video, but the PS2 picture quality is terrible with that setup.

If I swap DVD with PS2, then DVD quality is bad. My theory was to geta 2 way box for both PS2/DVD and plug that into the AV1 TV scart socket.

Not sure if that makes sense
Old 19 November 2003, 12:43 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

DW, we have all our devices going through aforementioned switch box and picture is not noticeably different from having it straight in the TV. Our TV has 2 scarts, one fully switched (RGB) the other isn't.

We have the Digital TV, Playstation 2, Gamecube and XBox (did have video on there as well) all going into the switch box, and the box connected to the TV. Only pain being you have to get up and switch the switch box to change device.

Can't fault picture quality or price
Old 19 November 2003, 01:34 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've tried a few splitter leads and they were all crap. The signal/sound would get confused. A mate supplied me with a unit thats switchable and lets you record one while you watch the other etc - better than the one in that link above (kinda like this but a little better! - cost me 15 quid

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 11/19/2003 1:34:52 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 19 November 2003, 01:54 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

I am using the same Scart slitter as Hanslow for the Xbox/PS2 and Gamecube and IMO you would be hard pushed to find any quality loss...