Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WLAN & Internet Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2003, 09:43 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi, as in a previous thread I have been having trouble with my wlan at home. My pc is connected directly to the back of the d-link wireless router via a patch lead. there are two laptops with wireless connections and recently they have not been connecting. the other day i managed to get them working again, this morning they stopped. whislt messing around i have managed to disable internet on my pc and enable it on the laptop. my pc has the following error in the venet log:

system detected ad address conflict for IP address XXXX with the system having netwrok id yyy (i assume this is the laptop?)the local interface has been disabled.

i think this came about cos of me erroneously enabling internet sharing on the pc. however i have now unchecked internet sharing but it hasn't fixed it.

please help me!

tia

Charlie
Old 01 November 2003, 09:52 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

this is too feckin weird - i have disabled the network card and now the usb wireless thingy on the pc is working. the reason i went over to the patch lead was cos i couldn't get the wirless network card to work. wtf?
Old 01 November 2003, 10:52 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It could be a conflict with DHCP and static IP addressing.

Does the DLINK have a DHCP server - if so are all your client set to use DHCP.

Old 01 November 2003, 11:53 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

wwsd - afaict the dlink thing does have dhcp server. there is a setting where a range of ip addresses are given, gateway, dns etc. what i can't understand is why the laptop randomly starts and stops working - i haven't changed anything on it. the conflict on my pc seems to be between the wireless card and the network card. i have disabled the network card as i only use it for internet, and for now everything is working.

mystery...
Old 01 November 2003, 02:41 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

PC, if it works now, leave it!! LOL

WWSD was prob barking up the right tree with the dhcp stuff.

sounds as if maybe the lan card was static and the wireless dhcp.

set them all to dhcp, if you dare!!!.

ATB Dazza

PS: If you fancy, i might drive up to you one day with my VB/Access Bod, and sort out your DB, once and for all.

Let me know.
Old 01 November 2003, 07:20 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dazza - If he could sort those forms for me that would be a great step forward. If you fancy a few pints you can get a train from Kings X to stevenage that only takes about 20 minutes. Not that stevenage is a great place to go drinking but at times you have to make do...

cheers.
Old 01 November 2003, 11:01 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

That message happens when you have two devices trying to use the same IP address.

As was previously mentioned, if you've got a static IP address on one machine that overlaps the DHCP range, that will happen.

Personally I've set the DHCP range to 192.168.0.200-254 then I assign the statics int the range 192.168.0.100-199. Then there's no confusion. I've only got four machines on the network, and a whole class C to play with