Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet Explorer's Bu**ered my Computer

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2003, 07:20 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help me with this one. Yesterday I had to urgrade my version of IE so that I could access my online banking. I had to download the enhanced encryption pack from the Microsoft website. No problems with the online banking now but as soon as I run IE now it brings my machine to a virtual standstill, even after I have closed IE, everything has gound to a halt. If I restart the machine everything is fine again until I fire up IE and then it hangs again. CanI delete IE completely and try installing it again or does anyone have any other ideas. I'm running Windows 2000 and IE6.

Cheers
Old 30 October 2003, 08:32 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Yes, you should be able to uninstall it and try again. If you've got a reasonably fast internet connection, then try fully patching it (via Windowsupdate) and see if that resolves any remaining speed issues.

Does your online bank insist on IE? If not, there are other browsers available which support the same technologies. i.e. SSL, Java etc.
Old 30 October 2003, 09:28 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

I actually downloaded service pack 1 for IE 6 first, but that did not add raise the encryption level. I had to go back and find the enhanced encyption pack. I'm worried that if I delete IE then other programmes will not function properly.
Old 30 October 2003, 09:33 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

If you're just trying to raise the encryption standard, the update you want is probably on this page.

Uninstalling IE6 should just roll you back to whatever you had installed before (5.0, 5.5 maybe).