Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Digital cameras in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2003, 01:33 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys just a quick question, I am off to do a season in the Alps and want to take a digital camera but obviously it will be cold and am wondering if the temp will do anything nasty to the camera??

Thanks

Andy
Old 27 October 2003, 03:18 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Depends on the camera to be honest.

In the back of the manual that came with yours it should list minimum storage and operating temperatures.

However, if you keep it in an inside pocket it'll be kept fairly warm and should be OK for quite a few shots before you put it back into your pocket.

Also note that batteries tend to be a lot less efficient at low temperaures so keep any spare batteries in internal pockets also to keep them warm.

Only other thing to note is the humdity. From a warm damp pocket to cold damp air could cause some condensation in the lense system so watch for that as well.

Cheers

Ian
Old 27 October 2003, 03:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent most of last Winter in the Scottish hills in temps ranging from 20 deg + to -7

My Fuji digi cam (still) faired very well and never failed once. Normally when the weather was very cold, there wasn't much to see anyway.

Even on the coldest day with no wind, the camer took perfect pics.

I did take my Panasonic digi camcorder and this didn't work too well at all. I had my camera out all the way up some munros until the top and it worked great. It started misbehaving when I needed to keep taking it in and out of a bag.

The problem are usually caused by the changes in temperature. No doubt it'll spend time in a bag, all nice and warm. You take it out and the water vapour freezes on the metal surfaces inside the camera. Put it back in the bag and it'll thaw getting moisture in the camera.

Not sure what the solution with a camcorder is. Maybe keep it out all the time in a waterproof bag

If it's a still camera, then I doun't think you'll get any bother.

I took these when it was well below freezing

I'll be taking mine on a trip to Finland in December.

Stefan
Old 27 October 2003, 03:34 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

I had battery problems with my old Fuji 6800z last season in really cold weather IF I kept it in an outside pocket or rucksak. Also the LCD was slow too.

This particular camera has a metal case too so it was dammed chilly to use as well.

I used it a lot in the cold and got some great results but now I come to think of it, something went wrong at the end of the season and I still haven't sent it off for a warranty repair.

The lens extended whilst it was in my jacket pocket and it may have been stressed because it hasn't worked properly since.

I *think* the problem was something to do with the cold - we had just spend the night in a refuge up at 3000m @ -15C!
Old 27 October 2003, 04:01 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
We used several Digital Cameras & Camcorders in New York in February and it was -14 most of the time, and they were fine, just as others have said about the batteries, they dont last too long in the cold

Old 27 October 2003, 04:44 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Make sure you increase the exposure if your camera allows it -- otherwise you'll end up with grey snow in the pictures! The camera's automatic exposure system probably won't cope with vast expanses of white.
Old 27 October 2003, 07:10 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
otherwise you'll end up with grey snow in the pictures
just like a few taken with mine. that'll teach us for using a full automatic digi cam

problems are mostly likely to be battery drain in very cold conditions and moisture when constantly exposing the camera to cold, then warm conditions.

Stefan
Old 28 October 2003, 05:14 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Talking

cheers guys! will take some extra batteries with!

Thanks again

Andy
Old 28 October 2003, 06:26 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Nice pictures, had you fallen over in the top one??