Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Network question

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2003, 03:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have replaced a client with an upgraded machine which was a breeze as XP just found the network and got on with it and required minimal setup - I used the old client's logon name and passwork successfully but used a new name for the computer - all fine .

PROBLEM: I thought I would put the old client on a desk in a spare room. It runs Win 95 but had been working fine. I added a new user name and password to the server and when prompted for a user name and passwork for Network Logon I used this. It cannot find the network, complains about the domain name, although it is correct, network neighbourhood is empty etc. Since then it does not put up a "Microsoft Netorking" password request but a "Logon to Windows" and it is not even trying the network it appears.

Any suggestions? I didn't change any of the network protocols, I left the old computer name etc. All I did was type in a new user name and password at startup. Subsequently I added this username and password through the control panel on the client so they all match, to no avail. I then took the whole machine back to the original desk it was on and the same happens, so I don't think it is a network cable or socket problem. Yours truly has missed the point somewhere crucial. The network troubleshooter help doesn't help, says it is not its problem

Sorry if I am being thick. Thanks for any help as usual.

[Edited by john banks - 10/17/2003 3:23:05 PM]

[Edited by john banks - 10/17/2003 3:24:29 PM]
Old 17 October 2003, 03:34 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/nologon.htm Think I'll need to try this.
Old 17 October 2003, 03:37 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
John

I take it your using TCP/IP to connect the machines, if so can you ping the 'server' and can the server ping the client

If so, can they ping each other by there names, you may need a host file or an lmhosts file (so the 95 client 'knows' about the domain and preloads that info on startup)

You could just try removing networking from the 95 client, and re-installing too

Cheers

Steve

Old 17 October 2003, 05:29 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IP address?
Old 17 October 2003, 09:24 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Theres a default logon for w95, u can set it to ms networking or windows logon. Under network properties somewhere. Sorry cant remember exactly, been a while since days of w95...
Old 17 October 2003, 09:44 PM
philjohno
Scooby Regular

Firstly if you have not changed anything on the PC, I would step back and look at the bigger picture.

1. Check the cabling, has another PC worked at that point before?

2. Do you have a link light on the NIC & Hub/Switch? (unless using BNC)

If all is ok then check on the network settings, it is probably set to local logon, check in the network setting in control panel make sure that it is set to "client for microsoft windows" and not "windows Logon", double click on the "client for microsoft windows" and check the domain settings are correct in there.

Make sure your have the correct protocol's setup, i.e Netbui/TCPIP. if TCPIP are the ip setting set for static IP (set your own) or DHCP were the server automatically give you an ip address when you logon.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes I have had a few to drink
Old 17 October 2003, 10:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks all I'll have a play on Monday.
Old 20 October 2003, 10:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think the network wiring is dodgy, socket looks all connected inside, but another working machine will cannot find the domain server from that socket. There has never been a machine on that socket before since the building was built. Cannot ping the server from that socket unlike others. I think I'm happy with the setup aspects, this explains why it just wouldn't find the domain server.