Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Network: client desktop box replacement... software licence

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2003, 10:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If upgrading a client on a network by replacing the case/CPU/HDD etc - ie a new desktop box, the following is listed in software requirements for the machine's main use...

"SQL Server 6.5 Client Licence and NT 4.0 Client Licence and Exchange Client License OR

Microsoft BackOffice Version 4.0 Client Access Licence"

Since I am replacing one system unit with another is there any physical software involved in the above? ie do I need to hunt and find a CD to reinstall this on the replacement client machine? Forgive my lack of understanding, I've inherited this (badly managed and underspecced) network when I bought into the partnership and am trying to work out what I have and what I don't. Trying to sort out temporary upgrade until the NHS comes up with "money"
Old 10 October 2003, 01:46 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you have described is typically associated with NT4 Server.

So I'm a bit confused!

If the network client PC requires it, then you will need reinstall the apps, ie SQL Client Access, MS Outlook, NT 4 Work Station.

As to the licencing you talk of, this is ALL done on the NT4 server.

Steer clear of Back Office, nothing but a pain in the @rse!
Old 10 October 2003, 01:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is listed for the server. For the client it is listed as the same but with client licence tagged onto each item. Looking in add/remove programs in control panel I can't find anything. So I assume it just means I have a licence to run this software on the clients, not that I need to install anything.
Old 10 October 2003, 02:21 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

John,

The license requirements are just paper licenses if the server has been installed in Per-Seat mode i.e. you need to license the client-end.

The server could be in per-server mode, which means you just buy 25, 50 or whatever licenses for the server. The server would then stop any connections if the maximum licenses were reached. You can set this to anything you like under NT4 as you don't need to enter any license numbers. I could have one physical license and still configure the server for 1,000 for example.

Under NT4, the client does not need and software installed to confirm the license. So, if you are replacing one workstation with another, then as long as the software you want to use is install it would just work.

You don't need to install any software to activate anything.

XP and Windows 2003 needs local activation, so that would be a different thing all together.

Does that make sense?

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 10/10/2003 2:22:30 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 02:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Or more simply ....

For your networked PC you must have a NT4 CAL (client access license) AND a client license to connect to a 6.5 SQL server.

These are just paper licenses. You don't need to install anything to confirm this.

Stefan
Old 10 October 2003, 04:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks, makes perfect sense.