Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone got a hp (aka Compaq) ProLiant ML370 G3?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 12:57 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the server is POSTing, does the fan run at high speed, then as the OS loads it quiets down to a tolerable level ?

After the tests are started, can you hear a noticeable increase in fan speed ? I think if you're loading the CPU heavily, this should happen.
It's as noisy as **** when POSTing, then settles down as W2000S loads. Sitting on the Windows login screen it's pretty quiet. After the UD Agent has been running, the fans do speed up but to no available.

It's on it's third CPU and second system board. Call is now with hp in Dublin and we're meant to be getting a proper hp engineer to visit it, not a sub contracted one from Lynx.

Cheers guys

[Edited by ChrisB - 10/1/2003 12:58:10 PM]
Old 30 September 2003, 09:42 PM
ChrisB

G3 model, so a 2.6Ghz, 2.8Ghz etc Xeon.

Have you had any issues with it reporting CPU overheating and then shutting it's self down?

Or do you have one of these not doing anything too serious to test something for me?

TIA,

Chris.
Old 30 September 2003, 10:00 PM
DSOTM
Scooby Regular

I'm sure we have a few 370 G3s floating round somewhere.

I'd have to check in the morning. Most of what we have bought recently has been DL380 or ML530 though.

Haven't heard of any thermal problems anywhere of late though.

What do you need checking ?
Not sure I'll be able to "test" anything as such (Live servers) but there'll be no problem having a nosey round.
Old 30 September 2003, 11:06 PM
ChrisB

We're stress testing a shiny new 2.8Ghz Xeon G3 and use a variety of applets to simulate CPU load.

For instance, the UD Agent is handy for giving the CPU a nice fat bunch of calculations to get it's teeth into. Run the Agent on it's own and the server eventually complains it's too hot and does a gracefull reboot. Today it would last five to eight minutes before the management agent popped up.

We've had the CPU replaced twice (first replacement was FUBAR ) and now the server can last maybe five minutes with 50% CPU Load (HT is on under W2000 Server so it reports 50% load). The original CPU would overheat in 30 seconds

Add in SuperPI calculating PI to 32 million places and it overheats even quicker (100% CPU load).
Old 01 October 2003, 12:14 AM
DSOTM
Scooby Regular

Oh my. That sounds well knacked.

I have managed to find this thread

It's about the fans running at high speed and not dropping, but I figure it could quite easily be the opposite way round.
There is mention of 360 G3, also the ML370 G2 but not the G3 specifically.

When the server is POSTing, does the fan run at high speed, then as the OS loads it quiets down to a tolerable level ?

After the tests are started, can you hear a noticeable increase in fan speed ? I think if you're loading the CPU heavily, this should happen.

Is it running the latest firmware on the System ROM ?

Looking at the quickspec diagram, there are two fans in front of the CPU slots, then 2 behind. There's no way in hell these should be overheating like that.

If new CPUs, a firmware update etc don't cure it, I would be asking for a replacement motherboard to rule out the thermal sensor and failing that, a completely new server.

Hmmmmmz....just found this statement:

Modified the driver to properly gather fresh thermal data if the management device was generating a large number of interrupts
in the Revision History for the Windows 2000 System Management driver. It's a bit old though, Dec 02, but worth mentioning I reckon.

HTH

Old 01 October 2003, 09:20 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

Just searched through the engineering advisories on the 370 G3 and there's nothing showing as a known problem.

I assume you've already updated the bios and drivers? Have you logged a call with your reseller? The will be able to go back into HP an log a call for you. Alternatively call our support dept on 0870 842 2330.

The DL360 problem was related to complaints that the server was very noisey, so we issued a bios update to throttle back the fan speed. The fans had to go back to the original speed once the 2.8 procs were available. A ML370 has loads of air space internally so I'm surprised cooling is an issue.

Phil
Old 01 October 2003, 10:14 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Talking to a guy here who works at another HMG site, apparently HP have just done a big recall for some of their G3's as this overheating problem is a well known issue.

Ill ask him some more tommorrow...

Ids

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2003, 11:09 PM
ChrisB

Ooo, please Ids - that would be very helpfull.