Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FAO Chiark - having a total mare with IPCOP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2003, 11:27 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post up your problems - I'll see if I can help.

Steve
Old 30 September 2003, 01:58 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

I'm not familiar with IPCOP in particular, but I'll give it a go:

>Also the red nic asks you when you configure it to be either dhcp, >static, pptp or oe something or other.

>If you say dhcp it wants a dhcp client name. The router doesnt >have a client name so cant enter one so it cant be dhcp.

OK set the red nic to DHCP and supply any client name you want - this is purely to make it easier for you to look at your config.
The ADSL router will act as the DHCP server and supply your RED NIC a suitable IP adress. I assume you have set up your ADSL routers DHCP pool to assign address in the RED range i.e 10.0.0.0

Also have you switched off any rulesets the ADSL router may have in it's internal firewall if it has one.

>All pcs on the lan can ping the green nic. They can not ping the >red nic or the router. I wouldnt expect them to normally due to >the different network ranges but I was told that IPCOP is supposed >to do the routing between green and red and that the red nic and >the router must be on a totally different network range to the >internal LAN. I also tried everything on the same network range >and it still didn't work.

Not sure what rules IPCOP has by default, but unless you are allowing ICMP echo requests (pings) between GREEN & RED this will be a failing.

>The other thing is both ipcop and the router want you to put in >your connection setting for the adsl connection. Which one should >hold these detaisl and do the authentication/connection to the >provider as surely only one should be congigured to do this?

You should be able to ingnore this section, it's used as IPCOP can support direct connection of USB Modems. Since you are using a ADSL router and hence presenting your remote (RED) nic as Ethernet, ignore this section. Your ADSL router is responsible for bringing up the ADSL connection and you've already set the needed information on the router.

HTH

Michael

Old 30 September 2003, 04:41 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'm just off out for a wander with me son , but I'll reply later. There's a couple of great mailing lists that can help if I can't - see http://www.ipcop.org for their addresses and archives. You want the user one.

Old 30 September 2003, 08:02 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Right, I've read this thread fully through... Sorry to be useless, but Michael has suggested everything I can think of but here's a few attempts at clarification.

IPCop's red gateway will be configured as ethernet as you've already gathered. You just want it to be DHCP - call the name anything as said before. (I assume your router is providing DHCP?) Another thing to try is a static IP address of 10.0.0.2 on red, with a gateway of 10.0.0.1 (this is the IP address of your router).You will need to enter DNS if you take this approach: does your router provide DNS caching? If so, enter the router address or if not enter your ISP's DNS. (DHCP sorts all this out for you...)

ICMP ping from green->red are fully supported, so that shouldn't kick u out. Green and red do need to be on different networks; what you've got should work.

The first thing that I'd check is to find out if you can see anything on your red interface... Use an IP address to ping, or traceroute to, and see how that takes you. If you can ping an IP address on the net then you're in good stead as it's just a DNS problem...

Good luck with this. It should be straightforward.
Cheers,
Nick
(off to soothe crying son)
Old 01 October 2003, 12:18 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

cool

I must admit I've left the rulebase alone, apart from to drop pings from Red to green...