Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NT4 WINS question

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2003, 08:30 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone technically well up on WINS on NT4? I'm doing some disaster recovery tests in work and need some advice. If so, I will elaborate.

[Edited by fastfrank - 9/24/2003 8:31:35 PM]
Old 24 September 2003, 10:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've used WINS a fair bit, there's not a whole lot to it. What do you need to know?
Old 24 September 2003, 10:53 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Well if i can start be explaining what setup my workplace has.

One Primary WINS hub which we use to store all the static entries and off that we connect all our secondary WINS servers as Push/Pull partners. All those secondary server should know the owener of the static entries.

My Q. is . If the primary WINS server crashed and we didn't have a backup would you be able to rebuild another server in it's place with the same identity and would it automically pull back all the static entries once WINS was re-activated on the box? Hence reuilding a WINS database.

cheers

[Edited by fastfrank - 9/24/2003 10:54:04 PM]
Old 24 September 2003, 11:24 PM
DSOTM
Scooby Regular

I think the records would be replicated back to the "new" server, BUT I'm pretty sure they won't come back as static entries.

Check the static entries on your master server, then check the same entries on your replicas.
You should notice that the replicas have an expiry time but the server where the static entries were added shows as "infinite".

The only way to get them back to being static would be to recreate them.

Do the DR test and see if they come back with an expiry date. If they do, you'd have a couple of weeks where you think all is fine and dandy, then they'll suddenly disappear

[sarcasm]
Another fun thing for you to try is to set the system clock on one of the replication partners forward an hour just before the expiry time of said replicated records.
Wait until next push/pull replication and then try to work out where your all your "static" entries disappeared off to
[/sarcasm]

HTH