Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Who wants to refer me to pipex?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 07:46 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Am I right in thinking there's a referal scheme for Pipex ADSL? Anyone want to have the honour?! What do you get for getting Pipex my business anyway?

In return I'd appreciate some advice on how to share my broadband between two or three desktop machines. I think wireless is the most sensible way to go as network cables all over the place would be a right faff.
Ease of setup and price are my main criteria for choosing kit in this case. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Ben
Old 15 September 2003, 09:12 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

When I checked last week Pipex had removed the refer-a-friend from the website, it says due to abuse. I'll recommend you if I can by ringing them up or e-mail, not sure if they are still doing it however.

As to wireless network, I can't help you there. I've only linked 2 together by a pair of network cards and a crossover cable.

Andy.
Old 15 September 2003, 09:13 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Just remembered by workmates have used Netgear wireless stuff, e-buyer.co.uk usually is very good prices, something like DG534 rings a bell...
Old 15 September 2003, 09:31 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

For the networking stuff try broadbandbuyer.co.uk, great service and tech support. I bought my D-Link ethernet modem and wireless router from them.

Chris
Old 15 September 2003, 09:35 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

it's back, it's still working: let me know if you need the info still

I'd go for a switch and a hardware firewall personally.
Old 15 September 2003, 11:10 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

AndyMoody gets first dibs on refering me for the first reply, cheers to Chris and Chiark for replies too though - you're next in line if Andy forgets! Andy, please email my profile address for whatever info you need.

So what specific kit am I going for folks? Presumably it makes sense to make use of the 'Alcatel ADSL Modem' that comes with the Pipex package? Is that an ethernet model able to connect to a broadband wireless router? Where does a hardware firewall come into things?

After a bit of browsing broadbandbuyer I'm thinking of using the modem that comes with the Pipex package (£18), Linksys BEFW11S4 Broadband Router (£59), 2x D-Link DWL-510 PCI Adapters in the desktops (2x £23.49).
Total £123, all assuming the modem with work with the router, otherwise things are going to get much more pricey it seems.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 16 September 2003, 02:09 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Scoobyster,

YHM

Cheers,

Andy.

Trending Topics

Old 16 September 2003, 05:19 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

scoobyster...

The alcatel modem is a USB device and sits on any machine that has USB.

What I've done is use IPCop, a linux distro aimed specifically at being a firewall, on an old machine with USB support. This machine also has an ethernet port on it, and so provides routing, firewall and intrusion detection along with other neat things (DHCP server, web proxy, dynamic dns client, you name it...)

I'd recommend it to anyone who is considering a router as it's a secure, audited, configurable thingy that'll sort out part of your security requirements for a broadband connection.

Cheers,
nick