Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone use SAN, NAS and/or directly connected network backup devices?

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2003, 05:08 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

In the process of evaluating current limitations of our company network. At the moment we have basic functions - file/print and e-mail.

I could just spec some new servers, but I wondered what the pro's and con's are of Network Attached Storage, Storage Area Networks (for the redundancy) and moving backups away from individual servers onto a dedicated network backup unit.

Stefan
Old 04 September 2003, 08:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We use a Network Appliance NAS, its an expensive lump of a thing and we host Oracle databases on it which isnt what its really designed for so File sharing and print stuff be easy, it does a nice line in Snap Backup which only backs up changed blocks.

Dont know what the cheaper ones are like, try www.tomshardware.com
Old 04 September 2003, 08:31 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
we have a compaq storage works san at max capacity

it gets backed up using a compaq MSL series SDLT libary and a modular data router connected to the fibrechannel switches this then connects to the sdlt libary via SCSI.

We are looking at getting a 3TB ATA Storage array to provide near line storage for HSM this will then go to tape or DVD.

But yeah we use SAN's

Whats the budget?

David
Old 05 September 2003, 11:32 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depending on what storage you need a StorageWorks MSA1000 would be a good starting point. It comes with it's own internal switch and is very easy to set up, however it doesn't have the snapshot or disaster recover capability of the Swrx EVA series.

Be careful with netapps filers, Microsoft doesn't support NAS and I have seen them walk away from customers who have had problems with NAS.

Let me know more about what you want to do and I'll knock up a HP solution for you.

I'd need to know:
Estimated current storage and growth rates
Number of server to be connected
Do you need fully redundant links to the SAN?
If you are going down the snapshot route, how much data do you think you need to snap?
Do you think there will be a requirement in the future for data replication for DR purposes?
What O/s are the servers running?

Phil

PS David - what HSM product are you using? I've been asked to work with KVM but haven't seen what other people are doing

Old 05 September 2003, 02:41 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
commvault?

David
Old 05 September 2003, 03:37 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We use Netapps filers for file services and also for our exchange server, great for online restores in case of DR or restoring a mailbox. Ours is connected via scsi to a overland LTO tape library.
Old 06 September 2003, 07:36 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

If you want a less expensive option to NetApp (which we also supply) have a look at Raidtec. Very good prices on their NAS boxes which now have Snap backup capability.

Jeff