Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Microsoft VPN access

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2003, 04:33 PM
DarkMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have made progress; I’ve enabled VPN on the server and opened ports 47 and 1723 on the firewall. I now connect from my remote pc but it doesn't log me on, and i get this message in the server’s event id:
"The user connected to port VPN3-4 has been disconnected because the authentication process did not complete within the required amount of time"
Any ideas? One thing i am unsure of is when I run an internet port scanner on the server it shows all ports as stealth except 1723 as open, but 47 shows as closed.

[Edited by DarkMan - 9/5/2003 4:33:55 PM]
Old 03 September 2003, 02:20 PM
DarkMan
Scooby Regular

I am trying to set up Microsoft's VPN access on our server so our remote users using broadband can connect direct to our servers. I am having some difficulty with the server setup, when i click on Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access, i run through the wizard and choose VPN option, it then asks for the connection to the internet but doesn't allow me to select the servers lan card as an option. Does the server need two connections to the internet one purly for VPN, also do you know how many VPN connections i can get at a time.

Thank you for any help
Old 03 September 2003, 04:20 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Need two NICs

One for the Internal network and one for the external (ie Internet)

You will want to have your Private Network not facing the internet anyway...

So...

Internet Connection, Firewall (192.168.x.2) and Server NIC 1 (192.168.x.1)

Server NIC 2 (192.168.y.1) and rest of network in the 192.168.y range

In that way, you won't find people snooping around your network...

Then use the server (y range) as a gateway so the clients can access the internet or prehaps another machine configured as a proxy server.

I believe its upto 50 clients but I might be wrong. It should be configureable. Internet connection might have a bearing with its capacity and the maximum number of conns. Also, other internet services will have less bandwidth available to them (browsing d/loads) whilst clients connected to VPN server.
Old 05 September 2003, 10:06 AM
DarkMan
Scooby Regular

OK, We have 3 servers, and a router with firewall, all currently with one network card all attached to our switch. I want to turn one of our servers into a vpn access point (one is already accepting dial in). In simple terms how do i do this, is their a microsoft paper on this, all the microsoft help i've read just jumps in their with stuff beyond me.

Any help please
Old 05 September 2003, 10:12 AM
ChrisB

Approaching this from a different angle - can your router/firewall terminate VPN tunnels?
Old 05 September 2003, 11:01 AM
DarkMan
Scooby Regular

We have an IPsec card in our router and our users are currently using Ravlin soft VPN software to connect. One user using Vodafone Mobile connect card in his laptop and their GPRS service is unable to get the Ravlin soft software to work, and vodafone are no help. So trying to set up Micosoft VPN to use that over Vodafone GPRS