Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Configuring VPN server on Win XP

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2003, 10:15 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider the following:

I have a Windows XP machine behind a NAT firewall that I'd like to connect to remotely (e.g. from a client's site). I was originally going to use Remote Desktop for this, but it only allows one user to be connected at a time (remote or local) which is no good. So I thought of using VNC. The trouble is that the data in VNC is transmitted in the clear, so I need to tunnel it through another protocol. SSH clients for Windows cost serious money, and I was looking to do all this for free.

So, is there a way I can set up the Win XP box to act as a VPN server, then connect to it from the other end using a VPN client, then run VNC? Would prefer to stick to using stuff that is native to Win XP/2000 rather than having to install things, as sometimes I don't have local admin priveleges at the remote end. The VNC client is OK as it's just an executable to run and doesn't need installing as such. Which ports would I have to open up on the firewall?

The goal here is to allow remote access without opening up a huge bunch of security holes...