Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone left IT?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2003, 10:52 AM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Having worked in IT support the last 6 years, I now find myself working my last day of a temporary contract (the contract cannot be renewed as the company I'm working for dont have enough work) and after 2 previous redundancies unemployment looms yet again.
I know there are a lot of people in the same boat but has anyone totally changed career? If so what are you doing now?
Just fed up with IT now despite having a couple of permanent job interviews lined up for pretty good jobs in the next couple of weeks.
What sort of jobs can ex IT people get into relatively easily? (if any)
I'm a quick learner and feel I could turn my hand to anything I put my mind to but need some inspiration!
Any replies welcome...
Old 29 August 2003, 11:32 AM
jamin
Scooby Regular

I've been without permanent work since February (I went to Oz for 6 weeks too) and feel I'm wasting my time at the moment. None of my friends/family seem to have the aggro I've had in the last 3 years!
Maybe I should have said (for the benefit of people still in IT) if you had to choose a different career what would it be!?
I've also thought about the Police but dont think it's for me!
Old 29 August 2003, 12:19 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well Ive kinda side-stepped. I had been contracting for years until January this year when I got a decent job offer from a telecoms company and joined them doing software development. All was going well and I had adjusted to permie-dom alot easier than imagined. However due to cost cutting I was made redundant along with many others in mid-July!

Well the upshot is the business seemed quite good, offering businesses massive savings against BT and with another guy I have setup a company and back in self-employment again. Its alot easier to sell (and Im no salesman!) because now Im saving people money rather than costing them, how hard is it to get businesses to 'invest' in IT! I still do some dev. work but not much and I want to move completely out of it.

This government has truly shafted the industry what with IR35, fast-track visas and a huge upsurge in cheap offshore development the squeeze is definately on.

Good luck with what you decide to do.
Old 29 August 2003, 03:23 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I have two friends that have left IT - one has gone back to college and is studying landscape design, the other is now a painter and decorator (who is earning more money now than in IT sales)

Old 29 August 2003, 04:02 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

the other is now a painter and decorator
i thought about a career change like this, but as one of my neighbours pointed out (hes a plumber/gas fitter) "the grass always seems greener etc"

i dont know a decorator, that can earn £650 per day for clicking the mouse a dozen times and checking a screen the same amount.
- mixed in with a bit of swanning around the office chatting to chicks, 2 hour lunch breaks, and no tools required!!!
- think about it.

Dazza

Old 29 August 2003, 04:05 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Funny,

Altough I still have enough work in IT, I have been wondering about the exact same thing... and yes, police *and* landscaping came to mind. As did pond design. And car mechanics ...

Still struggling with it. After the initial "WOW" factor, IT slightly bores me these days.
Old 29 August 2003, 04:11 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

landscaping would be wicked, plenty of variety there from weilding chainsaws and sledgehammers, to gently easing a begonia into place.

just what the doc might order!!!

BB
Old 29 August 2003, 04:20 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL, and you'd know for sure you're slightly stressed when you put said begonia into place with a sledgehammer
Old 29 August 2003, 05:16 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far, as I am now officialy unemployed...again
Have an MCP exam booked next week and although I'm considering a change of career will take it as I've paid for the bl00dy thing already!
Agree with "the grass always seems greener" but all my mates with trades still earn double what I do (did) in IT...
A few bevvies tonight should help me decide my next step I'm sure
Old 29 August 2003, 05:27 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

I thought about Police but morale in the job is really poor and pay is pretty low. Besides the shift work means I'd struggle to get time with wife and sprog.

I'm starting a C&G course in electrical installation in September and I have a teaching degree if the ka-ka really hits the fan.

As has been said IT is so dog eat dog and I'm competing against the younger/cheaper graduates who don't come with all the baggage (experience) that I do.

Such is life. BTW I know former senior IT people who have left to open Ice Cream shops in Italy!

All of the above notwithstanding if I can stay in IT I will at least for the forseeable future.

[Edited by JasonHook - 8/29/2003 5:28:00 PM]