Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Li nk Two PC's on Wireless Network?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2003, 09:59 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a home wireless network with 3 PC's on it, all connected to the internet via broadband connection. Works great. What I'd like to be able to do is link two of the PC's so I can see files on one from the other, and transfer files between them. I am sure this is possible but the Windows help and the router manual don't help at all ...

Details are:

PC 1: desktop, running Win98
PC 2: laptop running XP Pro
Router: Draytec 2600We

I don't need or want to link the other PC.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 22 July 2003, 10:24 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

I've just set one of these up for a mate tonight.

Admittedly it was done where all pc's were running WinXP but that can all see each other and share files

You enabled file sharing ?

To do this, goto each computers network connection > properties and make sure file sharing is enabled, then once enabled, just goto the icon for your c drive, right click on it and click on "share" - where you can enable sharing of your c drive
Old 22 July 2003, 10:47 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Daz - thanks. How do I do that?
Old 22 July 2003, 11:07 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Its different depending on the version of windows. Perhaps you'd be better looking it up in the built in help system in windows (start button > help)

There's two steps

1. In control panel, find an icon for networking. Inside that you're looking for TCP/IP properties and "File and Printer Sharing" - make sure that is enabled

2. Whatever volume (hard disk, cd-rom) you want to share, find its icon in "my computer" or "windows explorer" and right click on it. A menu will appear and one option on it will be "sharing". Select that option and check the box that says enable file sharing for this drive - type a name for it in the space provided, perhaps "hard disk" or "cd rom"

You should now be able to "see" this in the network neighbourhood of the other computer on the lan

here a quick article on it based on Win98:
here

[Edited by DazV - 7/22/2003 11:10:31 PM]
Old 22 July 2003, 11:21 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

You need to create a user account on XP machine with name and password matching those on the 98 machine.

Also on XP box, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy. Select Local Policies > Security Options in the left panel, select Network Access > Sharing and Security Model for Local Accounts and change to Classic - local users authenticate as themselves
Old 23 July 2003, 08:26 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yikes - it works! Many thanks guys - that's a huge help to me!

Isn't Scoobynet Brilliant?

Cheers
Old 29 December 2003, 10:34 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have trawled through almost all 'wireless network' posts on SN using search and this thread gave me the closest answer to what I wanted, but not quite though, as I do not have Windows XP Professional on my laptop.

I have just bought and set up a wireless router, which allows both my hardwired desktop (Win98) and wireless Laptop (XP Home edition) to access the internet. This bit works fine.
How do I get them to share data though? Ideally I would like a shared folder on the lappy to be visible from the desktop.

Following instructions above, filesharing is enabled under 98 and the xp machine share directory is enabled. I have also run the XP Network setup wizard on both machines and given them the same network name, but no joy other than seeing an entry in the network neighbourhood on each machine. On the desktop 98 machine it is itself i.e. 'desktop' and the name of the network on the lappy is the correct name of the network, but access is denied.

Can anyone help or point me in the direction of some 'idiot proof' instructions?

Thanks in advance!

Suresh
Old 29 December 2003, 07:58 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Sorted it and now have 54mbs wireless connection between my two computers. Problem was that 'lmhosts' file on the win98 needed to be configured with static ip addresses and machine names.