Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linux and Alcatel ADSL

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 11:58 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Everybody!

I have been tinkering with Linux as some of you may know. I now have an installation set up and it seems to work. The only think is I can't figure out how to get my ADSL connection going.

Anyone who signed up with Freeserve will know the external green blob thing with two lights and Alcatel written on it that sits on top of my PC.

The Mandrake installation of Linux installed most of the other peripherals without a problem but I guess the driver for the modem was not in its repetoire.

But it did have a link telling me where to get it. So using my windows OS I got this driver.

Unfortunately, installing the driver is not as straightforward as I had hoped. The instructions in the readme file might as well be in Martian. It goes on about compiling the driver in C with another piece of software that I don't have.

Is it really this difficult?

I'm on a bit of a steep learning curve here so if anyone can explain how to do it in words of less than one sylable I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Old 16 July 2003, 12:05 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

How you getting on with Mandrake? Have just installed it on my laptop to have a play - first impressions are good, but is going to take a bit of getting used to.

Trying to figure out wireless networking ATM.
Old 16 July 2003, 12:07 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Smoothwall have a gpl version of the firewall software. Take a look on their site to see as they have got the green stingray working. It involves downloading the mgmt.o file from alcatel or something along those lines......

H
Old 17 July 2003, 10:52 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

if you get stuck, I have the mgmt.o file here...

Steve
Old 17 July 2003, 11:34 PM
ripmaze
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I tried to install it and set it up using Mandrake's built-in driver and set-up routine but couldn't get it to work so ended up doing it myself. This was Mandrake 8.2 - it might have matured by now. I should be able to work out how I did it and do some instructions if you're still stuck.

Slightly off-thread, but has anyone got a "disconnect" script for it? I sometimes use it in another computer and it would be useful to take the line down and remove the device cleanly.
Old 18 July 2003, 01:34 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't it just using PPPoA or something? You should be able to just shut it down with your pppd or something.