Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ISDN -> ADSL

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 10:04 AM
nkh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am very disgusted with BT after discovering that they will charge me £50 for removing my existing ISDN line. I was told that there would be additional fees to pay if I cancelled within a year but not about any other fees. BT tell me that some ISPs will pick up the cost of converting the line back to a standard one. The only one I can find is OpenWorld (what a suprise!), everyone else says I must get the line converted by BT first.

Anyone else made and progess on this kind of issue or know of an ISP who is picking up the ISDN -> PSTN charge?
Old 08 July 2003, 11:07 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Check out Pipex, I'm sure they are footing adsl conversions now.

Worth a try anyway.

H
Old 08 July 2003, 01:26 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

If you go for Openworld (as I did - failed line test), check your BT bill very carefully afterwards as it took me five calls before they refunded the re-install of the HH line....

Took more than 10 days in total as well - uninstall HH - line test - re-install...

Thanks

Gavin
Old 08 July 2003, 04:20 PM
nkh
Scooby Regular

Is there any way I can get the line tested before I have the HH taken out? Last thing I want is to have pay all that money out and then pay to get HH back.

Thanks for the advice about checking the bill. I'll look at pipex now.
Old 08 July 2003, 10:03 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Eclipe should do it as well, or so they tell me. Im due to be 'converted' on July 23rd.
Old 08 July 2003, 10:11 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I know for a fact that it is possible for an ISP to place what is referred to by BT Wholesale as a Conversion order on an ISDN2e (HH BH) line, rather than a standard provision order for a PSTN line.

This is much safer as, if the line once converted to PSTN, can not support ADSL (line loss >60db*) the BT Engineer will immediately reinstate the ISDN line and you don't get charged a penny.

*60db is the new rate adaptive line loss limit having passed BT Wholesale's internal trial and now being trialed with ISP's

Ps. Anyone recruiting as I'm looking
Old 09 July 2003, 11:38 AM
nkh
Scooby Regular

RF - Demon seem to tell me this is not possible and I have to get the conversion done myself.

Do I fancy a 50 quid gamble?
Old 09 July 2003, 01:50 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Red face

It's more than a £50 gamble as you will have to pay the installation charges to have HH put back in after your ADSL order has failed [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Ring round other ISP's...if you are desperate, I could do it for you but @ £19.99/month plus vat for a Home 500 plus £60 plus vat for setup we ain't the cheapest...not to mention our 12 month contracts...