Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Shadowbane hacked... lol worth a read for amusement

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2003, 06:37 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
taken from http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,59034,00.html

Hackers
The horror, as horror so often does, began slowly … almost imperceptibly.

Late Tuesday evening, little things suddenly started to go very wrong in the virtual world of Shadowbane, a popular online multiplayer game.

Some players noticed that their money and weapons had suddenly vanished. A few whispered that tonight the monsters somehow seemed slightly bigger and meaner.

And then all hell broke loose.

Shadowbane had been hacked by several of its players. But unlike standard game hacks, where players gift themselves with super strength, health or wealth, these hackers managed to completely alter the rules of Shadowbane -- turning a suddenly wrathful game loose on its players.

"At first, players started speculating that there was a really bad bug in the game code," player Tim Wheating said. "Then we realized that somehow an insane god had taken control of our world and was out to kill us all."

In a statement posted on the Shadowbane website shortly after the hack, Wolfpack Studios and Ubi Soft Entertainment (the developers of Shadowbane) acknowledged that a "serious attack" had occurred and assured players the companies were "working with law enforcement and we promise all of you that these individuals will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law."

The population of an entire Shadowbane town was forcibly moved to the bottom of the sea, where they drowned. City guards turned feral and attacked town residents. Mobs of never-before-seen superpowerful creatures, seemingly spontaneously spawned from the ether, began to prowl the streets unchecked, killing characters in the most painful way possible.

Not that the game was ever intended to be a happy, cuddly experience. Whacking other players around in one of Shadowbane's many free-for-all zones is one of the main attractions of the game.

But it has a "Newbie Island," where inexperienced players can hone their gaming skills in a protected atmosphere. After making their way off the island, players join guilds, and battle the members of other guilds.

The members of guilds build cities that serve as their personal strongholds. Neutral cities exist also, virtual Switzerlands, where no one is supposed to attack anyone.

But on Tuesday there were no neutral zones -- nowhere to run -- and newbies became the prime targets.

Experienced players looked on in horror as new players were slowly and gleefully dismembered by ax-wielding ogres. Others just laughed and looted the characters' bodies after the ogres were done.

"If you go to what is left of the town of Khar, you will see my grave," one Shadowbane survivor wrote in an e-mail. "I never knew dying could be so hilarious -- I had a great time."

Mike Gontelli, a late arrival to the game that evening, said that when he arrived in Shadowbane "there were hundreds of tombstones. New players were being beaten and tortured. Newbie blood was flowing like a river. I knew it wasn't real, but it was oddly terrifying."

He added, "I've been playing online games for a few years. There are always some hackers hanging around who have figured out how to give themselves special powers. But I have never, ever seen or heard of a game going this deeply berserk."

Clint Hayashi of Ubi Soft Entertainment said on Thursday that "we quickly and easily identified the individuals who disrupted the game" and also said that users' personal information was not accessed.

The game was "rolled back" -- everything and every player reverted to their status shortly before the attacks.

"Hallelujah, I was dead and now I'm not," said player Brian Buttoloer. "This is way better than real life. Let the games begin … again."

Old 31 May 2003, 07:21 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol that raised a chuckle or two. Can you imagine logging on and coming across all that?!?

Anyone ever played this? Might take a look.
Old 01 June 2003, 12:45 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

heh! nice one
Old 02 June 2003, 08:27 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

If only someone would do the same for EQ lol.

Simon.
Old 02 June 2003, 08:52 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

The population of an entire Shadowbane town was forcibly moved to the bottom of the sea, where they drowned
Brilliant

- can imagine all the sweaty nerds moaning about this relentlessly LOL
Old 02 June 2003, 10:08 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Reminds me of the time Richard Gariot was killed in UO (forgot to cast invulnerability before spawning in front of 300 people)
Old 02 June 2003, 11:32 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

would have been so funny to be watching that from above.

Darren