Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

batch file to send a text message

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2003, 11:13 AM
DarkMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is is possible to create a batch file, so when a service fails the file runs and the server sends a text message to your mobile phone.

Old 19 May 2003, 01:20 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not unless there's away you can tell if a service has stopped responding from DOS. Sounds like you need some monitoring software.
Old 19 May 2003, 02:00 PM
DarkMan
Scooby Regular

Under each service you can tell it what to do upon failure, usually the option is set to resart service. You also have the option to run a file upon failure, I was wondering it a batch file can send a SMS message?
Old 19 May 2003, 02:07 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Must be possible, as we used to use a program called ISM Openmaster which could SMS/page people on server faults/program faults. Worked over SNMP, costs £thousands!!! Obviously need an interface to call from the batch file which creates an SMS message and sends it
Old 19 May 2003, 02:13 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Sure, you can make it call a batch file if it fails, you just need to get a program that'll send an SMS from the DOS command line now.
Old 19 May 2003, 03:12 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Had a quick look, the file on this site looks like what you need to do this http://www.kri-soft.be/dossms/. Looks fairly easy to use (not tried d/l'ing it yet so don't blame me if it is not available
Old 19 May 2003, 03:37 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

We do this here at work but we use our own network monitoring software caled ITO which will cost you serious cash to get a license and it is reall yhard to setup, I managed to get SMS working using some of our lesser products in days gone by, ManageX, Netowrk Node Manager etc but unless you already use thes tools I would not recommend buying them just to send SMS but if you want your network and servers mapped out an monitored then I can't think of any better software.

Plug for HP Openview here so this thread will soon be deleted
Old 19 May 2003, 04:29 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Ive written a service that just monitors services and restarts them if they stop..

David
Old 19 May 2003, 05:00 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

a while back we installed a gadget that monitored faults from a generator we installed.

the card has 6 or 7 inputs, and these can be programmed to SMS you whatever you want. The gadget only cost about £250.

All you need to give the gadget is a clean / volt-free contact ( switch )

There must be some kind of PC ( development )cards available with volt free contacts on them that you can program as you like, or in your case when something fails.

might work, sounds cheaper than some of the other things mentioned.
Old 19 May 2003, 05:11 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

whats-up-gold by ipswitch.....does the job nicely, the new version has alsorts of alerts.

at my last place one of the script guys did a superb job with perl_to_exe...it monitored desired services in real time not from what the applet says (you know when it goes into greyed out mode) & sends sms, e-mail, pop up etc....polled every 5 seconds & worked very well.
I still mail him regular, if you want his details let me know but he will charge a few quid obviously.

shunty
Old 19 May 2003, 05:12 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

forgot to add, his script checked service packs on everything, windows, office, IE etc, hotfixes & gave menu option for user to download, could run in stealth mode if required....

shunty
Old 13 April 2022, 04:18 PM
KMcLay
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by shunty
whats-up-gold by ipswitch.....does the job nicely, the new version has alsorts of alerts.

at my last place one of the script guys did a superb job with perl_to_exe...it monitored desired services in real time not from what the applet says (you know when it goes into greyed out mode) & sends sms, e-mail, pop up etc....polled every 5 seconds & worked very well.
I still mail him regular, if you want his details let me know but he will charge a few quid obviously.

shunty
Hi Shunty,
AM Using WhatsUp Gold, used to have a sms alert then when we upgraded the server it stopped working because it was a new server and all the files got lost when we decommissioned the server, can you help me so that can use sms alerts again. Would be glad if can connect me with the guy.

Last edited by KMcLay; 13 April 2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 13 April 2022, 07:18 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

You might get a reply but then again this thread is 19 yrs old so you might not
Old 13 April 2022, 07:52 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts