Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Partitioning IA-32 Servers

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 03:45 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a look at Aurema and in particular their ARMTech product.

We use it alot for large Primepowers running Solaris so that you can, for example, have 2 Oracle databases on one partition or system, but both are guaranteed a certain amount of CPU or other resource so as to meet SLAs and response times for the databases.

Of course, I know a man that can sell it to you

Dave

P.S. If you want any more info about it give me a call

[Edited by druddle - 5/2/2003 3:49:00 PM]
Old 02 May 2003, 03:35 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to come up with some ideas on reliably and securely partitioning 8-way ProLiants. Looked at VMWare GSX and am not convinced it's the right thing to deploy in a live environment. O/S is W2K, apps are SQL Server + IIS. The apps themselves are currenly using about 6% of the total resources of a DL380 (2 proc, 1GB, 2x36GB)which leaves a large overhead of unused capacity.

If I can consolidate down to a small number of 8-ways with large memory support and run each application in it's own secure environment then I'm laughing. Each app potentially needs slight differences to the OS, therefore VMWare seems to lend itself quite nicely.

Linux/unix are out as the application migration costs plus retraining the dev team makes Unix cost prohibative.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Phil