Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FAO: Dr Evil, RE: Gamecube TFT Screen

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2003, 03:50 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Started another topic there - didn't, as you said, want to hijack that one.

I went to PC world/Dixons and got 007 Nightfire (Almost as good as Goldeneye 64, the multiplayer part is very well done, just a shame in the limited number of maps) and SuperSmash Bros Melee in the £25 each sale, and a 4Gamers Recharge pack and 5.6" TFT clipon screen (in Black to match my gamecube).
The recharge pack powers both or either (here's a goodie, the tft had S-Video and L&RAurdio+Video inputs, so you can plug most things into it - like portable DVD players for instance...now...when is my birthday...)
The screen is quite good, if anyone remembers the Atari Lynx screen - it's very similar. Bacially look at it too high and it's too bright, too low and it's too dark. Thankfully it has contrast and color adjustments so you can adjust the picture to your eye hight.
The sound is less than desirable, the speaks distort very easily, however it has dual earphone plugs and they have no problem handling the volume.
The only other grip it it doesn't support 60hz mode, but then, the ability to plug most other audio/video devices into it makes up for it (hint, plug camcorder into it for larger screen playback )
The battery pack says it'll do the GC for 2 hours +, or 1 Hour+ with TFT screen. Considering I've only had this a few days and Haven't charged it up enough times for the battery to reach full charge yet I can't comment on these times, but I'd say they're quite accurate. There is another pack out that that boasts 3 hours charge but I haven't seen it to buy in the uk.
It now makes my GC portable (if a little heavy), ideal for my holiday this year. What I need now is some of those minicons Mad Catz controllers as the carry bag I got for it can't fit all 4 in confortably.
Old 31 March 2003, 04:06 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pinkeye - sounds good.

I was going to get the Joytech screen for the cube (think it was that make) seems only places like Dixons sell it though.. read some reviews in Cube magazine and they rated this one.

I agree with your comments about 007 Nightfire, not quite GoldenEye, but very good multiplayer and an above average single player mode.

You should get Bomberman Generations - hours of multiplayer mayhem!

Still not convince by Eternal Darkness thou, imho.

And Super Smash Bros Melee again is excellent multiplayer fun.. also lots of single player madness too thou

Metroid Prime is the nuts too, a must have if you like 1st person shooters / puzzle games.

Cheers, Alex

PS. thanks for the review.. the rechargable pack sounds interesting

[Edited by DrEvil - 3/31/2003 5:07:24 PM]
Old 31 March 2003, 04:37 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a 4 hours session of Nightfire yesterday, brilliant!
I enjoy the AMS (I think thats it's name) that fires grenades as a secondary mode, that and usein the laser tripwire mines on all major doorways Personally, I'm a sniper fan - love the rifle, especially in certain open levels.
I got Starfox Adventures but wa very dissapointed by it's logativity (ie it has none), completed it in 18 hours play, 0 return value.
I'm trying to complete Turok at the mo, another game that is ok single player but has really bad multiplayer. Still, I don't like trading in games I haven't completed, I'm about 60% through it.
Same for Rogue Leader - it looks like a tech demo. The graphics are very realistic and awesome, but the gameplay is sadly lacking (10 standard missions, some of them so easy it's untrue) Again, once you've completed it (I'm on the Battle of Endor, can't quite take out the 2 star destroyers) it had 0 return value (unless you want to try and get gold medals and fly ships which you can unlock with cheats if needed).
The powerpak is quite weighty, but does the job, just a shame that in this day and age you can have a moble battery that lasts 13 days, and yet this battery only last 2 hours. The screen has got some good reviews, but I didn't look at reviews of others as I couldn't find them in black (purple screen + black console= not colour co-ordinated )
Old 01 April 2003, 03:39 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah, sniper rifles, grenade launchers and the sentinel weapons are all very cool and annoying for the other players!

I've not played SFA, but was avoiding it. Rogue Leader is great to watch, but as you say, lacks playability, I only completed about 5 or 6 of the mission before getting bored.

The only games I currently play on Cube are Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros Melee, 007 Nightfire and Bomberman Generations... all top games.

Still waiting for the UK release of Zelda though.. although I may not get it straight away, as I've been playing the new gameboy version for the last couple of days and might have had enought zelda to last me for a while!

Old 01 April 2003, 04:01 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Any news/idea on how 'limited' the limted edition 2nd disc is with Zelda.
It contains ports of the N64 Ocarina of Time + Extra bits and pieces.
Game are advertising it as available only to those who preorder, and even then those first X amount through the door