Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC or Mac

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2003, 11:49 AM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

I am thinking about going online at home and have come up against the old PC or Mac decision.

I know PCs fairly well as I spend most of my worktime coding C++ and am well versed in the whole Microsoft approach of producing nice looking software that works as it should until you try and do something hard and/or resource hungry at which point your application goes phut.

The Mac is by all accounts much more stable as the new OS is effectivey sitting on Unix although they seem more expensive (it's hard to know whaat spec Mac is comparable to a given PC but I've tried). The research I have done seems to suggest that PCs are capable of greater power than Macs and obviously they are more apps for PCs.

Of course there is the pleasure of giving Billy boy the bird which does seem quite attractive given the misery he causes me at work.

Bearing in mind that this will be used as a typical home machine, possibly with digital camera and web facilities what is the opinion out there? If I were to work from home I would need to access all the stuff held on my Pc at work - would this be easier with a PC?

Ta
Old 13 March 2003, 11:57 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PC would be the easy option.
Old 13 March 2003, 12:04 PM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know, bit I just keep getting into a conversation with the guy who sits next to me at work about this issue (sad I know but better than work) and I just get the feeling that a Mac offers fewer options but that it is more stable whereas the PC is a little flaky.

Given this is just a home machine and I am not a gadget freak (and its my own money) I'd prefer reliability.
Old 13 March 2003, 12:20 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
This decision rests entirely on what you are wanting to do.As a Mac/PC dealer we come across this all the time.
I use both but rate the Mac better due to its ease of use, reliability (OSX on Unix etc etc), its ability to connect to peripherals with ease(except where some short sighted manufacturer dosent make mac drivers) and the fact they look just dead good gorgeous. There is the argument that the initial costs of the hardware is more expensive and the speed difference , but you have to take into account the extra's that you have to buy for a PC when the Mac comes with so many bits as standard be it software, utilities, firewire etc.also the speed difference is hard to compare when the processors are so different and the pipeline steps that a PC takes to complete an instruction is far longer than a Mac does.yeah i know the processors are far different and yes today the PC does have the edge but it depends on what apps you are going to run.

I have a Mac and PC at home.My PC does some web browsing,handles some mail via Outook and plays games.
oh and Kazzaa is running constantly.The Mac does verything else from email, web, digital camera via free iPhoto, digital video editing via built in Firewire and iMovie, games, graphics, all microsoft programs via Word, excel etc and i use it to connect to work via the Mac OSX.Log onto our NTServer network which has Apple services running and have access to all network, printers etc.

Its your money, so the initial cost may be high, but AllanB may be able to help you as he works at MacWarehouse and is a fellow scoobynetter.

Hope this helps..
Old 13 March 2003, 12:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

How about the best of both worlds, get a Macintosh and a copy of Virtual PC. Emulates a PC when running a mac. We use it here at work on a 837 Dual G4 Tower and it's pretty quick.

The point, as has been mentioned, is what do you want to do? play games? write code? etc...

If you're wanting to play games, then it's really got to be a PC, yes, some of the top games (Max Payne, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Sim City 4) are available or will be available for Macintosh, but to be honest, the gaming thing is really still very heavilly PC based, well, in this country at least.

If you're after just surfing and general computer use type stuff then a Mac will be great.

I work with macs at work (I'm a senior product engineer for a Macintosh software comapny) but I have a PC at home.

As for the comparison between a Mac and PC, ahhh, the age old question. Just because a Mac might only have a 1.2GHZ chip, does not mean it is not as quick, or quicker than a 2.4GHZ PC. They use different chipsets, so it's not a straight forward comparison.

I'm moving country soon, and thus will be needing a new machine, and I'm finding it rather hard deciding what to get, I think I'll probably go for Macintosh, why? Well the new iMac looks very smart, is compact, and I can probably get a nice little deal through the company

Macs Rule! Think that sums it up
Old 13 March 2003, 01:46 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

I went for a iMac and absolutely love it.

More reliable, Great OS with fantastic packaged apps for digital camera's, MP3 ripping, Movies etc. etc.

If you don't want to play games and like something a bit different with loads of style then the only choice is a Mac!

At the moment they are doing a deal where you get M$ Office for about £50 or something.

What do you need to do with it on a work side of things? I use an RDP client to get in to our work networkm and also the VPC emulator.

Even the missus likes it.

Rich B
Old 13 March 2003, 01:55 PM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

Ta everyone, you seem to be confirming my thoughts exactly.

I have a PS2 for games (well game really, GT3) so this machine won't require much in the way of games. The work thing is a bit pie in the sky, as I'd like to wrok from home a couple of days a week, so would ned to compile and debug c++, both in exe and xll formats.

Best of all is the thought that Billy boy won't get my cash!

Have to day I'm suprised at the support for the Mac, thought I'd be swamped by PC users. Maybe the fact that I'm even considering a Mac puts me beyond redemption.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:25 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Theres quite a bit of Mac support on these forums.
You could spend all day defending your corner, whether you are a PC or Mac user and frankly we all better thnigs to do with our time.
PC users quote speed, amount of apps,cost,the fact that their mates all use one.blah blah
Mac users quote looks, ease of use, free stuff,it just works and the fact that they are in the corner looking smug.
Final decision comes down to what you are happy with and your budget.Also it helps if you can get a bit of advice from ppl here.
AND remember just like scoobs, you can always mod your choice like hell once you get it.
Email me if you need advice
Pele on here already has.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:28 PM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

Thanks but bear in mind I am an M3 TWT so modding is a just some strange parallel universe that other people seem to live in!

As for sitting in the corner looking smug, hey that's my job!
Old 13 March 2003, 02:38 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

well then there will be 2 of us in the corner looking smug then LOL
Especially if you have all of these.

;D;D
Old 13 March 2003, 02:40 PM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

so, er, what down pipe you got on that then mate?
Old 13 March 2003, 02:45 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

No downpipe mate..hehe
Just 2GB of memory, extra 120GB hard disk,apple pro speakers,tons of programs,scoobynet as homepage, 17" OZ rims (bugger those look silly now)..
Have fun with whatever you get
Old 13 March 2003, 02:52 PM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

thanks, hope to once I get my butt into gear and buy one.

That screen looks very nice, what is it? was it rather 'spensive (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old 13 March 2003, 03:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Well the one in the picture is the big ole daddy of monitors, the Apple Cinema Display HD 23".Priced at about £1500
The next one down is what I have ,the 20"at £950 and the baby(say baby its still big)the 17" at a cheap £460.
These may seem pricey, but they use the ADC connector which hold your power, usb and video all in one giving you digital end to end.
And if your budget no stretchy to those and space is a premium(and you cant be arsed modding it)get a flat screen 17" imac at about £1400.Comes with everything.Picture below.

You will stroke it all day.promise.hehe
Old 13 March 2003, 03:13 PM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hmmm, rather nice as you say. I think anything more than 17 inches is just excessive (!) and I am tending towards a specced up iMac rather than a low end G4.

Must admit much nicer looking than a PC and hell, if thats the reason I chose my car, watch and (dare I say it) bird then may as well do for the computer!

Born to be shallow !
Old 13 March 2003, 03:24 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Whats your budget?
If you want to talk more just email me
Swiss
Old 13 March 2003, 03:28 PM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

Looking at the official apple store the top spec iMac is 1800 odd, with broadband costing 100-200 (guess) to set up and 25ish a month.

That is about my budget I guess. Can that system be got for less by shopping around or not?
Old 13 March 2003, 03:36 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Got to go to meeting right now, will email you later when i get back
Old 13 March 2003, 04:35 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Aha! A topic I can comment on!
I have always used PC's, laptop at work and a lowly PII at home. I bit the bullet and got a 17" iMac last Nov (one in the second piccy) and I LOVE IT!!!!
Markus is right though, you do need to decide what you want to do on it. I use my iMac for email, surfin via broadband, digital photos, movie editing and creating DVD's and mp3's.

The programs you get on the iMac, indeed all Macs are AWESOME. iTunes for music - SO easy to burn discs and hooks straight up to the Apple iPod, THE most gorgeous MP3 machine in the world. iMovie for video editing - transitions, music, titles etc. iDVD for creating your own DVD's with projects from iMovie (I have done two so far and they are superb) - full moving movie menu buttons, chapters etc, just like the latest film from Blockbuster! Also iPhoto - plug your digital cam in and off you go! Print, email pics or send them to your homepage via .Mac (great Apple service for making your own homepage, Mac email address and disc space).
Blimey, bit of a waffle! Also Keynote, Apple's new Powerpoint-type program is amazing!

The best bit though, is the looks, to die for. Add an iSub and Soundstick speakers and it looks even better

I would really recommend one mate, the support is superb on the Apple bulletin boards and as some people say on here, there are a few Mac heads here!!

Any queries, pls email me!!
Good luck, and BUY A MAC!!!

Mossman

[Edited by Mossman - 3/13/2003 4:36:31 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 04:39 PM
M3 TWT
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mossman,

I'm getting more and more convinced by the Mac.
I don't play many games and I've got a PS2 for those I do use.
I am looking at web browsing, small scale word pricessing/spreadsheet stuff and, in the future, a bit of digital photography. Mac sounds ideal doesn't it?

I'm convinced.

Oh by the way Mr Gates, **** you! Ooooh yeah.
Old 13 March 2003, 06:00 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Cool

M3 TWT

Email me and i will give you all the costs, peripherals, etc that you will need, upgrades the lot.Also when you can have the kit and so on
chris@dodsworth.net
Old 13 March 2003, 06:32 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Mossman,

couple of quick questions...

I already have a 15" iMac G4, so what non-original mouse would you recommend? My PC has a cordless umpteen button wheel mouse (Logitech) and i would love a similar thing for the Mac. Any idea what options there are (ideally hardware out of the box and no extra software/drivers required)?

Secondly, can you get a sub-woof for the iMac G4? I thought that it only had a normal stereo jack?

Oh, and to M3 TWT - the Mac is very nice

mb
Old 13 March 2003, 07:13 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Remember, Bill owns some of Apple

Infact, he owns us all

Oh, on topic, go for a Mac if you want to do more Video/Gfx editing, otherwise choose a PeeeeCeeee.

Just my 2p

~Jules
Old 13 March 2003, 07:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

boomer,
on the subject of mice, they will have to be USB, so if your logitec mouse is USB, bung it in the mac and see if it works.

On a sub-woofer, I'm pretty sure that part of the Harmon-Kardon soudn kit is a sub-woofer, am sure there would be more info on the Apple website.

As has been said, there is a LOT of mac types on here, they are gaining more and more ground in the UK.

In the USA they are everywhere, and also in Canada, one of our biggest clients has over 600 schools with aprox 25000 macs in them now that is a LOT of machines, oh and they all run our software from one server for all those machines

Oh and if you need any help with macs, you can always email me, just ask Mossman.
Old 13 March 2003, 07:26 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Boomer

Your iMac G4 can handle all of these below
There is a pic of the ports on the back
As to the mouse.jesus there are tons out there.Too many to mention

Old 13 March 2003, 10:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm genuinely (but pleasantly) surprised!

Perhaps it's a stereotypical view I had of IT bods, but I thought that the PC would come out on top.....

I've got an Athlon-based "typewriter" with XP, G/Force 2 GTS Pro etc for internet and work.

However, I've also got a G4 Dual 1Gig for my studio (audio/midi) - I have used Macs for the last 12 years - I love 'em.

As to whether you should get a Mac or PC, I think it also boils down to price. Macs ARE expensive in comparison. But you get what you pay for. Quality. Reliability. and they are the coolest computer on the planet!!! The OS is rock-solid too

PCs have XP (although much better than previous Windoze apps).

Depends what you want from you computer really....

Ahh f^$k it!!! Buy a MAC!!!

Dan
Old 13 March 2003, 11:05 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey Boomer,

Swiss T has already answered your questions! Hi to Markus and Dan too!
MACs rock!!! iPods are work's of art and what other computer is worthy of being shown off in the lounge!!!

Mossman
Old 13 March 2003, 11:44 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Bill Gates has nowt to do with Apple. His cash injection was partly an out of court settlement to do with him nicking Apples technology !

If you are not sure about a Mac I may be able to arrange a loan unit for you to evaluate.

I was originally from a PC and DEC VAX background and was won over by the Mac. it just allows you to do far more and do it quickly. I'm not interested in geeking I just want something that works fast, is stable and does the job. Also if you are doing digitial photography and might want to move inot video and making your own DVDs Apple has focussed on this market for some time and offers a complete package. Add in AppleCare which extends the Apple warranty to 3 years , give you diagnostic tools and first line telephone support directly from Apple then you'll have a great user experience.

There are lots of people making the switch and its generally those that know the facts and have a specific requirement. I havea PS2 for games and ended up giving my PC to my cousin as I hated the damn thing !

However if you must run PC apps then most Macs are beefy enough to run this. At work all my teams run eMacs and run Windows on them via Terminal Services and it works fine and allows them at the hit of a key to run Mac apps.

If you need any help do let me know. I'm off work at the mo but should be back on Monday. My work email address is allan.bayman@eu.mwhse.com

AllanB

Old 13 March 2003, 11:48 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey Allan, Hope ur feeling ok mate.

Mossman

PS Keynote is AWESOME!!!
Old 14 March 2003, 12:11 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

get a sparc running Solaris

If not I would recommend a PC. If you are gonna start getting into the net you may end up getting interested in new apps and its much easier to experiment via p2p with a PC.

If you are realitvly new to computing, you will find a lot more support for PC's, esspeically as you can run winbloze. I might hate Micro$oft, but they are the dominant manufacturer and it always helps to stick with that.

If you are not pretty new, you don't need our advise

Quick Reply: PC or Mac