Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Just had a 'code standards' meeting

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2003, 03:03 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate 'code standards'. As long as its readable and the public interfaces are understandable then it's fine by me. It turns out that most of my team are closet hungarian notation fans and when I mentioned 'design patterns' noone knew what I was talking about. Bloody nora.
Old 18 February 2003, 05:13 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how you feel.

Every few months, one of the management clones will read something in the computer press about some form of formal methodology.

They roll in and say, "Hey, wouldn't it be great if we could develop software this way. I'll talk to the other bosses and will sort something out.".

We just keep our heads down, carry on doing what we have always done, i.e. using comment blocks, meaningful variable names and comments where necessary. A bit of documentation for public interfaces and then make sure it is all in the config/source control system. The method we use now was signed off on for ISO9001, so it is good enough for us.

Patterns are interesting and one of the more practical ideas out there. I must get around to revisiting these ideas at some point, when I find a minute (or ten).

Cheers

Ian