Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win98 screw-up - help!

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2003, 04:43 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I was cleaning out history & cookies from win98 and somehow started deleting .sys files

Re-installed .sys from CAB file on startup disk but system wouldn't restart

Reloaded win98 but now have a bog standard / miniscule system

Is there any way of "importing" my drivers / software from the old version or is it a case of start again with installation disks? If I copy the desktop across, the shortcuts for each program eventually want files it can't find...

I don't know whether I've got a backed-up registry - where is it kept? PC's been rebooted so many times it's prolly been overwritten anyway

Secondly, any idea how to change graphics driver without going via settings as pc locks each time I click on tab?

Thanks

Apple
Old 16 February 2003, 07:32 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Apple

Start from a fresh build on win98! I know its a pain but ends up a lot better in the long run.
Re the graphics drivers try putting any motherboard specific drivers in first, reboot and then change the screen res / graphic options. I've found this the best way around win 98 locking up at this point.

Richard
Old 16 February 2003, 02:46 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for the answers - I gave up trying to salvage and just reloaded win98 but obviously I've lost all the bells & whistles

is there any way to get back an outlook address book? (.wab file?) I imported on into outlook express but it's only got 4 names in - nothing like the 100+ it should have

Was there a virus kicking about set to go off on Valentine's Day as I wonder if I'd caught a dose of something - it deleted .sys .dll and win.com amongst the things I can see...

Apple
Old 16 February 2003, 02:50 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Richard - I got the video working by downloading latest driver from ATI site - it seems everything in windows needs you to go through properties/settings but doesn't say any other way if that's screwed

Apple