Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can anyone recommend a Prince 2 course

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 06:54 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..for (significantly) less than 2 grand?

And are they worth doing?

Fen
Old 07 February 2003, 06:55 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Definately worth doing. For two grand? Mmmm...Maybe.
BTW
What are you talking about?
Old 08 February 2003, 12:45 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I know a lot of people rave about the Prince courses as well as NEB's. No personal experience though.

Darren
Old 10 February 2003, 11:16 AM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

bump to see if it gets more response during the working week (but cheers for the comments so far).

Fen
Old 10 February 2003, 01:11 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

No, sorry, not for less than 2K

Most Prince courses are internal or are organised by companies and held at external trainers. HMSO do a Prince handbook which is a snip at about £65 (well, thats what I paid for mine a few years back).

Prince itself is OK, but I find it very rigid and prescriptive. Personally I prefer other methodologies but some places do insist on you using Prince eg Government departments.
Old 10 February 2003, 03:34 PM
NickLaflin
Scooby Newbie

Am looking at the same, have you thought of the self study courses that are available

http://www.quality-projects.com/html/QPI/FoundPack.html

http://www.prince2academy.com/t_foundation.asp
Old 10 February 2003, 03:37 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just out of curiosity,what are you all on about?
Old 10 February 2003, 03:50 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

PRojects IN Controlled Environments ...

...there, now you know
Old 10 February 2003, 08:53 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Tavia,

I'm only looking to do it if it's a way to seriously improve my chances of getting a new job (like the MCSE was when I did that). I have a couple of years PM on my CV already, but it was in Russia and Prince is pretty much UK only. I think that turns people off at interviews in the UK. Basically I know I can manage a project but I will become a Prince Practitioner if that is what I need to do to convince other people that I can.

Nick,

One of the things I'm trying to get a handle on is whether or not self-study is a good idea. I work 50-60 hours a week and have a whole house to refurbish so it would take a lot of motivation, but I can do it if there is a good chance of passing just by putting in the time.

Fen
Old 11 February 2003, 09:11 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

RB5,

Dont want to put you off but I think you are taking a risk with *any* formal IT qualification, there has never been any guarantee of a job and with the market the worse I have ever known (8 yrs contract, 2 yrs freelance now permie!!!) You maybe better approaching an IT firm as a trainee and show them you are comitted to doing the course in your own time and with your own money if they agree to review your salary on completion.

Just my opinion

Cheers

Gary
Old 11 February 2003, 09:35 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There's currently an advertised Prince2 5 day course at Napier Uni in Edinburgh for abuot £1,500.
There are two exams during the 5 days; Foundation and Practitioner.

I had a complete printout of Prince2 papers at home, I can try to find them (could be boxed up since moving house) and if I have them I could copy them and send you them ?
Alternatively, you could probably pull a lot of material off the net somewhere.
Old 11 February 2003, 02:46 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Gary,

Don't worry about putting me off. I agree with what you say; that's half the reason I posted in the first place and I want to know what people think about the value of the qualification.

I'm looking at this as a way to get at least one step removed from IT though, for 2 reasons; the state of the market and that I'm a consultant in MS products and I am sick of fighting with Exchange 2000 which is the most illogical, rushed out, buggy piece of crap I've had the misfortune to run across for a long, long time. I used to be a PM in engineering and I only got into IT full-time because it was hard not to at that time. I'd be happy to manage any sort of project.

DR,

That's the right course, and a bit cheaper than I've seen it elsewhere (assuming accommodation is included?). Thanks for the offer of the papers, but I can get things like that at work; we do employ a Prince 2 Practitioner, but he's happy and we don't need another one.
Old 11 February 2003, 11:07 PM
missyc
Scooby Regular

Open University do an 'M' level project management course (search for course code M865). It's part of 'Computing for Commerce and Industry' but can be taken stand alone.

I'm following it as an entry into the Association of Project Management whose exam seems to be based on Prince 2 methodology.

Old 11 February 2003, 11:37 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Gotta say that the ability to fill in forms on paperwork has never filled me with joy....

However, the stress & strains & buzz of managing multiple things in pressured realtime really rocks my boat

Somehow, but not that I know that much ( ), I can't see that the ability to wave a "Project Management" certification around actually means that you can do the job

BUT

I'm probably not paid as much as someone who has that piece of paper

Old 12 February 2003, 07:46 AM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

PTMW I'm right with you. I felt exactly the same with the MCSE, but it deffo helped me to have one (not worth the paper it's printed on these days tho IMHO).

I've always seen PM as structured and documented common sense. I love the buzz / hate the paperwork too. I keep losing out at interviews to someone so I'm wondering if it's 'cos they have a bit of paper I don't?

Fen

BTW thanks to those who are making suggestions for courses- I am listening...
Old 02 July 2003, 06:58 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Well, (much like yourself I imagine; that commute from Northampton to your Soho Sex Shop must be a bitch) am sick of the travel my work involves and I'd like to get a new one with similar / more money and close to home, so I'm thinking project management, but is it worth getting a qualification?

Edited to say it is a serious question BTW...

[Edited by RB5#295 - 2/7/2003 6:58:52 PM]
Old 02 August 2003, 09:10 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

RB5#295
Am I sick of the travel? Am I sick of the travel?? Mate I am so tired of it I've started to have stomach pains in the morning just thinking about the journey. But like yourself I'm going to be making changes. I may not even earn the same money but the quality of life improvements will be priceless.
Good luck to you mate.

[Edited by andrewdelvard - 2/8/2003 9:11:23 AM]