Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple up specs and lower prices on the iMacs & iBooks!

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 04:49 PM
Mark.S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out their web site:
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/935/wo/ILiOt03uWdh6vJ9rcz/8.7.0.3.9?61,10
Old 05 February 2003, 05:24 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just got myself an iBook, what a refreshing change from 15 years of using Microsoft products and PCs.
Old 05 February 2003, 08:10 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Same here - bought an iBook just before Christmas and love it

AFAIK the iBook prices came down just after the Mac Expo - I was able to get £150 back which made it even more of a bargain

Andy.
Old 05 February 2003, 08:41 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Question

How do Macs compare against pc's for speed, etc? For example, an 800mhz processor sounds prehistoric when you can get 2Gig and more in a PC. I read somewhere that this isn't comparing like with like so how do I make a comparison?
Old 06 February 2003, 10:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It's the age old megahertz myth. an 800mhz Mac can whip the *** of a 2.3gig PC.

It's one of the things I have to put up with, people saying Macs are not as quick, umm, sorry, they are, if not a little quicker in some situations.

Have a peek here (not read it though)

I've used macs for the past 12 years and so am slightly biased, but I DO have a PC at home, plus I can quite easilly build and configre a PC from scratch, so i'm not completely against PC's

Basically, if you are into Design, DTP (horrid term), Typesetting, Video Edititing, Music Editing, or basically anything fairly creative, then Macs are the machines to go for.
Old 06 February 2003, 11:57 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too true, you simply can't compare CPU speeds when the architectures are so different, and anyone that tries (like magazines and stuff) is just wasting their time. There is no benchmark that could possibly test fairly. All benchmarks are pretty useless anyway in my not so humble and experienced opinion
Old 06 February 2003, 03:41 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Before I got the iBook (800mhz) I had a 900mhz Intel Celeron laptop. The speed difference is very obvious - for example, opening pdf files is much quicker, so too is opening large movie files etc.

'Switching' over to Mac from PC is very very easy! Get hold of a copy of Mac Office and you're pretty much sorted.

Andy.
Old 06 February 2003, 05:18 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

I bought an iMac in Nov and I love it!!! It really is awesome!!!
Not only do you get a work of art, but the programmes you get with it (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD) are awesome!!
Then get an iPod and off u go!
I'm just about to order a USB hub and a Lacie 60GB firewire drive.
Cheers,

Mossman
Old 06 February 2003, 08:23 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I may have an invite for some of you Mac guys on March the 7th. Keep your diaries free if possible. I'll post up more details when I can. MacWarehouse , who i work for , will be hosting an event where we expect a number of new products to be released. Should be some big software releases of great interest to people doing publishing and those doing web design. I think you can read between the lines. Email me for more info.

I think you'll also be looking as a MAJOR upgrade of the PowerMac rnage in September.

Mossman you want help on those bits ?

If anyone is not aware these new machines CANNOT run OS9 and can only run the classic emulation whcih is slow and does not give full OS9 support. There is limited stock of the old dual boot machiens at macWarehosue other than that you'll have to pay through the nose for a CTO machine.

Its also interesting to see Apple US being sued by the 6 largest Apple resellers in the US for undercutting them via the Apple store !

Finally the speed of the mac is not just the architecture. The better interfaces of the OS just make them easier to use and you spend more time doing what you want rather than trying to work out how to do what you want

AllanB
Old 07 February 2003, 10:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I'm a big fan of OS X, was not about 6 months ago when I first used it, but I love it now, running 9 is a right pain now! lol. I'm even getting all ubergeeky and playing with Terminal, but hey, need to in my job!

having two completly different versions of the Mac OS is a right pain, espeically for me, being part of a development team, stuff that you could do under 9 does not work properly under X, for example, sharing a folder. You try doing that under OS X, WITHOUT any third party software. We're talking NetInfo Manager here, which is a DANGEROUS tool to play with. Even if you do get the folder shared, try getting the permissions set correctly. it's a nightmare.
Apart from that, we have to maintain a codebase for 9 and X, and thus means 2 lots of development, 2 lots of testing.

Personally I can't wait until apple won't even allow classic to run in OS X, I can honestly see this happening within the next year to year and a half.
Old 07 February 2003, 04:12 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Once Quark 6 is out I think this will happoen quite swiftly.

AllanB