Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BIOS & 80Gb harddrive - any experts out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2003, 06:28 PM
WendyT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

help!

One of our pc's harddrives has been slowly dying, so I decided to buy a new harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 80Gb seemed a good deal.

The PC is a P3 450mhz and about 3 years old.

After installing the new harddrive I found that the BIOS wont autodetect it, the only way to get it working is by plugging it into IDA slot 2 (secondary controller) and plugging the original 6.4Gb drive into the primary IDA slot. The system then uses the original drive to boot with Windows XP then picking up both drives no problem.

I'm guessing my BIOS doesnt support the size of the drive and as such just isnt seeing it ???

Any other ideas? If its the BIOS (AWARD) any ideas where I can download the latest upgrades?

ta

Neil

(using wifes username)

Old 02 February 2003, 06:31 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Check on your motherboard manufactuer's site for updates for the BIOS.
Old 02 February 2003, 06:40 PM
ChrisB

Try the DOS based DiscWizard tool from:

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...s/discwiz.html

Sometimes helps get round BIOS limits.
Old 02 February 2003, 06:40 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

I am not an expert - more of a comptent home user.

The bios would come from you mainboard manufacturer AFAIK.

Seagate have an installation program called Disc Wizard which comes with the drive to address these problems, I expect you bought OEM rather than retail and didn't get one.

You can get it here - http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...s/discwiz.html

Take a look here for FAQ's http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di..._faq.html#bios

Stu...
Old 02 February 2003, 06:41 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I had fun and games with my drive. it had about 16 pin options and 2 jumpers need. FDisk didnt recognise it was 80GB either. Is there a file size limit?

Si
Old 03 February 2003, 12:43 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

It is probably because an 80gb drive was not anticipated at the time the motherboard was made so the parameters for it are not in the BIOS.

Options are update the BIOS as previously mentioned or enter the parameters manually.

To do it manually you need to go into the BIOS and select a user defined type hard disk. Then type in the number of cylinders, heads etc. that correspond to those on the drive. Save the settings and exit, the drive should now be detected.

The parameters for the drive will either be on a sticker on the drive, or from the manufacturer.

Hope this helps
Old 03 February 2003, 01:11 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Check that you're setting the master/slave jumpers on both drives correctly. If they're both on the same IDE cable, you may need to alter the jumpers on BOTH drives to ensure that they work together.

The fact that the new drive works on the 2nd channel implies that this is your problem, and confirms that the BIOS does actually understand it, so I'd be surprised if you need an upgrade. Were you able to partition the drive and format it to its full size? If so, then you're in business.

Some versions of FORMAT and FDISK do contain bugs that prevent you from formatting very large disks as a single drive. I installed a 120GB drive last week under Win 98, and had to download an updated version of FDISK and then partition it into two equal halves. Slightly annoying, but much cheaper and less hassle than replacing the OS.

A.