Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

choosing scanners and printers

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2003, 11:16 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I asked about this a few months ago, TBH before I knew what to ask , general consensus was "Epson cartridges are cheaper". Done a bit of market research round here, let's try again.

I want a scanner and a colour (photo quality, though don't know about photo paper) printer. Home use only, no professional stuff.

Thought I'd take advantage of the bundles, but looking closer at them yesterday, it seems they bundle a good X with a crap Y to clear them, so I'll probably buy separately.

Cut it down to
Epson C62 printer (quite bulky I thought), up to 5760 optimised DPI;
HP DJ 3420 printer, more compact, up to 2400 dpi.
and
Epson 1250/1260 scanner, with some sort of photo adapter (couldn't see it), horrible operating buttons but OK colour;
HP 3570 scanner, nice negatives adapter, utterly hideous plasticky turquoise colour and styling!

Without knowing anything else, I tend towards the Epson printer and the HP scanner.

Questions;
Given these two's specifics, would I be better getting the same make of both? I've heard that HP software in particular can be really snotty.
Running costs of the printers?
Anyone seen reviews which says one (or all!) is a disaster and I should stay away from them?
Normally I'd ask about longevity too, but I think they are cheap enough to replace in a few years if necessary.

Thanks for all help

Brendan
Old 02 February 2003, 11:52 AM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to Tom's hardware you would be far better off with a Canon i850 as he wrote this up as an amazing ground breaking printer which can do it all, amazing photo capabilities, great speed and better than HP at text. He made it printer of the year and i can confirm its gob smacking.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20021223/index.html

The Canoscan 1200x2400 dpi scanner is also the best of the bunch of the scanners and imho looks the best of the bunch also.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20020327/index.html
Old 02 February 2003, 03:01 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Be sure to read other reviews too tho, as 'Tom's Bribeware' are far from accurate and impartial quite a lot of the time.

Sorry, just saying.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 02 February 2003, 05:01 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Nod Nick, backup up those tips on other sites, just easier to find stuff on Tom's to link tis all