Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop docking stations?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2003, 10:52 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know of a laptop manufacturer that makes docking stations that will take a PCI video card? Most of them just seem to be breakout boxes? Someone mentioned Compaq but I couldn't find up to date info about it. Are there any others?

It's so I can run dual monitors off a laptop (when I buy it).
Old 29 January 2003, 01:36 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

Replicators basically just replicate the ports you have. Personally the only docking stations I've seen only have a single monitor port - the docking station basically just allows to plug all the stuff (keyboard, mouse, etc.) into the unit as opposed into and out of the laptop all the time. Some also have CD-ROM's and the like though.
Old 29 January 2003, 02:00 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

This expansion base might do the trick

http://www.compaq.com/products/quick.../10379_na.HTML
Old 29 January 2003, 02:07 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

We use Dell laptops and have seen docking stations with 2 pci slots in. Not sure if video cards work in them.

Lets see if this works..... Check here

H
Old 29 January 2003, 04:31 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

The Compaq expansion bases work well with PCI based video cards. I sold a bunch of them last year and they've been fine.

Phil
Old 30 January 2003, 10:23 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Towzer what about running a dual-head graphics card in the docking station? I'm looking at the Matrox G450X2 MMS card, do you know of any compatibility issues with it? If you don't how could I check, it's a lot of money to spend to find out it doesn't work.

Also what about the graphics performance? Is it compromised? I do a lot of graphics work so it's vital that the graphics performance is right up there.

Basically if I can find a laptop + docking station that will properly run a dual-head card (allowing me to view an extended desktop on two external monitors) then I'll buy it asap.
Old 30 January 2003, 04:54 PM
Beauregard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I run an IBM T20 sat on a full docking station. I have an old Matrox Mysteque in the dock. I run 1 monitor from the Matrox and 1 from the back of the dock using the T20's S3 card. We have several users that have Matrox G450's in the IBM dock and the work fine. Not cheap though.
Old 30 January 2003, 05:07 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Excellent that's what I need to know - someone that is actually running it. BTW what IBM docking stations are they? I don't think IBM make the T20 anymore but I guess the T30 would work the same. Do you know if it does?

Also the guys in your office running the dual head cards, what is the graphics performance like? What sort of apps do they run? Do they run extended desktops across both external monitors? And what OS do they run?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm finding it really hard to get any info on this. Even the IBM site doesn't help a huge amount.

[Edited by blip - 1/31/2003 9:32:43 AM]
Old 05 February 2003, 11:00 AM
Beauregard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Iain
I have some rather good news for you. I have just run the T30 with XP at work. With the Matrox Mysteque in the Docking station I can run one monitor on the Matrox + a second monitor from the output of the Dock + the built in screen of the laptop each showing a seperate app. This means that the internal Radeon of the T30 can run 2 screens without another card. I then put the T30 on a Port Replicator and plugged an external monitor in. It let me extend the Desktop across the Laptop screen and the external screen. If you can live with one monitor and the laptop screen you don't need an extra video card or even a full Dock. If you need 2 external monitors you can get away with a Dock with just a single output video card. Sorry this sounds really complex. I will drop you a mail with my phone no. when I get home tonight.

Beau.
Old 05 February 2003, 11:12 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

That's great news! I just need to decide now whether to get the G450 dual-head card that I was originally looking at. I'm not sure whether it would be preferable to have the dual external monitors both running off the same graphics card. Do you still think you may get a chance to try the G450 in it sometime? Thanks again!!!!

Old 05 February 2003, 01:30 PM
Beauregard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Done. T30 + Dock + G450 + XP Pro. All Plug and play. No drivers no setting up. 1 reboot after installing the G450. Then extend the desktop. It does exactly what you want without any problems. I had better return the G450 because I borrowed it from a collegue whilst he was not at his desk.
Old 05 February 2003, 01:57 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

You are a top man for going to so much trouble!!! I really appreciate it and am going to put an order in today. Phew...what a relief, I was beginning to think it wasn't possible.

I feel I should pay you for your time. If you email me offline with an address I'll stick a 'drink' in the post for you.