Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New Laptop - IBM X30?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2003, 11:12 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thinking of upgrading my curent laptop to an IBM ThinkPad X30. Can anyone here get one for a better price? If so, can you drop me an email please?

Other ideas for an ultra-portable would be great - although I've had a look at the Dell X200, the Compaq Evo N410c, and the Tosh Portege 2000, but they all seem under-specified and either the same price or even more expensive...

Cheers

Mark
Old 17 January 2003, 10:36 AM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

One of the IBMers here just got an X30 this morning - very nice.
They can get a staff discount, but then you can't claim back the vat n tax, so it works out worse.
Old 17 January 2003, 04:57 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

T30 nice but not as lightweigh.
Old 17 January 2003, 06:32 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Indeed, the T30 is lovely. But after my old laptop, even the X30 will seem large and heavy! I like the idea of something ultra-portable....
Old 17 January 2003, 11:46 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Wink

dont think they make it anymore, but a thinkpad 240x is sweet goes easy on the shoulder as well when travelling!
Old 18 January 2003, 12:49 AM
bud7
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I've had a look at the laptop you are interested in and for the price i was supprised to see it was only a P3 processor especially for that kind of doe. I have just bought a Compaq Evo N800c for a superb £625, the spec: P4 1.8 GHz processor,30 GIG hard drive,DVD-CDROM drive, 256 DDR ram and an ATI Radeon 32mb DDR graphics card. It plays games just as good as my system which is an athlon XP2100,786DDR ram, G-Force MX440 graphics. So as you can tell i don't really need the laptop so if a good offer came about then i may think about parting with it.
Buy the way the laptop comes in the manufacturers box with all the software that came with it, but no receipt.

DJK
Old 18 January 2003, 11:15 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

All well and good, Bud7, but I suspect the laptop you mention would need a rather large bag, and when all in (with accessories) would induce a hernia when carried for more than a few feet!

Ideally, I want a laptop which weighs in at 3lbs or thereabouts (less, preferably). I can't be doing with lugging 5-6lbs of stuff (plus all the other junk I usually carry) around with me. I used to do that but the chiropractor bills just get too expensive.

I was seriously tempted to go for the latest Fujitsu Lifebook-P, which would give me a 1280x768 screen, Crusoe 933Mhz, 384Mb of RAM, a CD-RW/DVD drive built-in, WiFi, and a decent-sized HDD (I'd stick in the 60Gb drive I have in my current laptop) - and all in a package the size of an A4 pad, and weighing less than 4lbs. But the Crusoe 933 is probably only equivalent to a P3-500Mhz, and I want something a bit quicker than that.

I don't really care about games performance - I'm clearly not going to get a Doom III machine that comes in at anything less than about 4Kg. But I rarely play games anyway, so that's not an issue. My main uses for the machine are .Net development, accounting, web design using Dreamweaver etc., and some other trivial stuff like email and web-surfing....

[Edited by MarkO - 1/18/2003 11:17:15 AM]
Old 18 January 2003, 06:29 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mark thanks for the email I have been away the last few days. Why not give me a call in the office on monday and we can chat it over..
Old 20 January 2003, 05:45 PM
bud7
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Hey before you go round slating my laptop you should seriously think about knowing what your going on about. When you mention bags for the size of it then you must have been smoking sumut dodgy cus i can tell you now that it aint heavy and you don't need to carry accessories as the battery last for a good two hours.Instead of ready spec's on the net you should go and actually view these things before you can even begin to slag of my laptop. To end this i hope that you end up paying £1000+ for a peice of junk that you may want to call "my laptop"
Old 20 January 2003, 06:36 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

Chill out, Bud, and grow up. No need to throw your toys out of the pram.

I've seen a Compaq N800c in the flesh, and whilst having impressive tech specs, it's almost twice the size of my current laptop, and weighs between 2 and 3 times as much. Comparing the size/weight to the X30 shows similar results.

Yes, your laptop is a nice piece of kit, but having commuted to London for 5 years on the train carrying laptops of varying sizes and weights every day, you soon find out that form-factor is as important (more so) than outright computing power.

The fact of the matter is that I'm looking for a laptop that's significantly smaller than yours, and one which weighs around 3lbs (unlike yours). Having a top-spec gaming machine isn't as important to me as it clearly is to you, and having a lightweight ultra-portable is more important to me than it clearly is to you. I've explicitly mentioned this in previous posts, so it should be clear whilst I was light-heartedly poking fun at your suggestion.

Horses for courses, and all that. So don't take offence, eh?