Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MSN messenger file transfer problem?1£$%

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2003, 05:46 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Hi All

Ok my pc set up is as follows. 1 PC running win 2k and has a ADSL coming into it on the USB courtesy of NTL. This pc has a network card in it.
We have a hub and this pc plugs into it, along with another pc plugged into the hub running XP. So a pretty standard internet connection sharing thing is working pretty well.

Problem is, my pc running XP cant do the send a file to friend thing on MSN messenger. The pc with the USB connection going straight in however can!

I cant figure it out, my XP fire wall is turned off and the only other thing running on either pc is Norton 2003.

Any ideas folks!

cheers

Andy
Old 03 January 2003, 06:36 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which direction are you attempting to send the file ?

Messenger sets up a fresh TCP connection direct from client to client to send the file. If at either end the Client is being "NATed" (Network Address Translated- its actual IP address is different to the Internet IP address - as happens with Windows ICS) then unless its possible to set some static configuration to work around it it wont work both ways as the device doing the NAT (your main PC in this case) doesnt know what to do with the new connection.

I *think* you should be fine if you attempt to transfer from the NATed (ICS) PC to somebody else but havenet tested it.

Microsoft KB article

Deano
Old 04 January 2003, 06:05 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

I used to get this issue talking to one of my mates - at his end he has XP, ICS and BT Openworld and at mine XP to Cisco router then ISDN/NAT to internet.

Since switching to MSN Messanger 5.0 the file transfer seem to work. I guess they have done some waccy tunneling over HTTP/existing connections. Then again I have had some other issues with the new app, so unless you REALLY need it, I would wait till Windows Messenger 5.0 comes out for XP.

Ids
Old 04 January 2003, 06:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Its true - I have WindowsXP and cannot send a file, BUT CAN receive one .................... I dont pretend to understand why?

So just e-mail instead

Pete
Old 04 January 2003, 07:15 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

ive got NTL 512k + ICS and cant do file sending on msn! Can get them no probs, just thought i would say so you know your not alone and if you find out let me know ta
Old 04 January 2003, 07:41 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the File transfer connection is actually created fromReceiver to Sender. So any NAT on the sending end will bugger it up. Hmmm. Off for a google.....

Deano
Old 05 January 2003, 08:25 PM
MrDeference
Scooby Regular

Sure, I believe it's the same way the conversation is initiated. Initiator sends IP address to respondent to set up the connection. Same for file transfer.
If the initiator has a bogus IP address (because of NAT) then there is no way of the remote client finding the correct return address. A lot of ISP's NAT ADSL connections.