Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2002, 02:26 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

What can I say.
Still dont know why it took so long for me to change.
Bring on the video`s John
Old 14 December 2002, 03:54 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

I agree, why didnt i do it earlier
Old 14 December 2002, 04:21 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I switched to BTopenworld BB and it's fantastic, Couldn't go back to Dial up now.

A
Old 14 December 2002, 04:24 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

couldnt get BT broadband but got blueyonder and that is so much better than the old dial up
Old 14 December 2002, 04:26 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

movies/videos..!!

http://www.exvitermini.com

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 12/14/2002 4:27:20 PM]
Old 14 December 2002, 04:50 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Fine! Except vast swathes of the Country can't get BT BB, who are operating a marketing system designed to minimise availability [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] by making it available only to areas where there's a large number of people who a) are technically literate to know what it is and that they have to ask for it b) have an Internet Comnnection and ISP c) are energetic enough to ask that ISP instead of BT and d) stupid enough to believe that the information exchange between ISPs and BT and subsequent processing within BT has a prayer of working!

Like those who live within 2 miles of the town centre of Maidstone.... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The marketing hype really pi55es me off!! So much for President Blair's promises about the availability of modern telecommunications in Britain!!

Phil
Old 15 December 2002, 01:42 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Yup, i`m in the same boat [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Rich.
Old 15 December 2002, 03:10 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Wink

BT have now changed the way they gauge interest in non-broadband enabled areas.
You no longer have to register interest through your ISP, you can now do it on the BT site at...
http://www.bt.com/btbroadband/regist...ster_intro.jsp

Merry Xmas,

Paul

PS Anyone living in the Broughty Ferry area of Dundee, please register interest regardless of your intent to take the broadband service.
Old 15 December 2002, 03:35 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Whats the point in that, unless they have a 75% take up on the intial survey then you`ll not get it anyway, infact you`ll probably lengthen the time it takes with all the messing around BT will have to do.

Rich.
Old 15 December 2002, 01:13 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

The point is, when they reach a pre-determined number of interested (existing) customers, they will upgrade the exchange.
In my case, the target is 400 and since June, there have only been 250 people that have bothered to registered interest
Old 15 December 2002, 01:53 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

No they wont, they will ask the 400 people who have registered their interest with BT if they would like to pre-subscribe.Unless 75% of these people pre-subscride they wont enable the exchange!

Rich.
Old 15 December 2002, 01:56 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

From adslguide.org ....

Exchanges listed in yellow have reached their trigger level and are now going through the order confirmation process, which lasts up to 6 weeks. During this phase, ISPs must convert 75% of pre-registrations into firm orders before BT will enable the local exchange.
Old 15 December 2002, 03:13 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

....all of which makes it even worse. Clearly, Broadband is being toted with the maximum of reluctance by BT[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]. IMHO, a vigorous commercial organisation would provide the service, then hard-sell it!!

I have a very large secondary school in my exchange area. Anyone know how that effects the calculations? Or does it count as just one???

Phil
Old 15 December 2002, 03:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Phil,
its not quite the way it is with BT.
Alot of the older hardware has to be "modernised" before the exchange can become "ADSL compliant" should we say.
This is an on going rollout at the moment, and so eventually everyone will be able to obtain Broadband, but for the forseable future its just a matter of waiting

Tony
Old 15 December 2002, 03:34 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Clearly, Broadband is being toted with the maximum of reluctance by BT. IMHO, a vigorous commercial organisation would provide the service, then hard-sell it!!
Abosultey the opposite at the moment. The new chairman has clearly stated that BB is the "Big thing" to concentrate on. There is a lot of focus within BT on BroadBand with very aggressive targets.

In an ideal world , all infrstructure would be provided than BT could wait and see the rewards roll-in. Unfortunately the profit margins on BB are not great and the compnay still has a huge debt problem following the 3G Licence shambles. Large (and in terms of national ADSL roll-out - we'te talking *huge*) speculative investments are simply not going to happen.

If the government believed what it spouted and invested the proceeds of the 3G licences back into subsididing rural BB then I think there would be real benefit to alot of people.

Deano
Old 15 December 2002, 04:12 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys, I hear what you say! It's just that "subject to availability" is in the small print/rapidspeak.... and 'availability' is patchy at best, and certainly not countrywide with the odd blank spot in the back of beyond. It's not clear how the initial rollout was assessed: for example why Bearsted (a non-industrial area exchange North of Maidstone) has had it from day 1 (AFAIK) whereas Loose (a non-industrial area exchange South of Maidstone) doesn't.

As one, the other, or both of you speak as if "knowledgable"- shall we say - does either of you know the answer to my question about the School???

The delay makes satellite routed download increasingly attractive....

Phil
Old 15 December 2002, 05:09 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I dont believe the school will affect the stated trigger point very much. As far as I know its a fairly simple calculation based on what needs doing, what that costs and the number of connections required to make that money back. Its is also not just about DSLAMs etc but also backhaul data and infrastructure etc.

However should the government do a central deal to provide internet access to all schools then in some cases I guess this might lead to an early exchange upgrade - or the Internet access might just be provided on older (more reliable) style leased line connection.

More and more corporates are starting to look at DSL now and that may lead to an acceleration in exchange roll-outs as there is more potential for lucrative large contracts to fund it.

IMHO you've got to be very desparate for large download bandwidth to go near Satellite. I belive there are several people on here who have first hand experience and I've never seen a favourable report (though stand to be corrected). because of the distances involved the latency (time packest take to traverse the link) is so high that anything remotely interactive can appear much slower than PSTN.

Deano

Old 15 December 2002, 05:41 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks, Deano

Phil
Old 15 December 2002, 05:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Phil,
I take it when you mean calculations about the Broadband for the secondary school you are talking about quicker availability of ADSL in your area?
AFAIK though, the local council "rent" so many lines off BT (or the local provider) for ISDN and ADSL, i dont think this has much effect though as it may only be counted as a few lines but that really isnt the main problem
The real problem is modernisation of the network, some of these exchanges have been in for over 10 years (which is a long time equipment wise) but newer exchanges will have later revision hardware that is compatable with the "Total Telephony" enviroment that is needed to run Broadband.
All i can say is be patient the Telecoms industry is in a worse state than the IT industry and money is very restricted (due to OFTEL mainly changing the rules when they want to and giving stupid timescales to adhere to [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) (i should know how bad it is as ive only just got another job after being made redundant in July )

Tony
Old 15 December 2002, 06:08 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks, Tony.

Phil