Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Keep loosing Internet, possibly Windows XP????

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2002, 10:42 AM
springbok
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Having a problem with my desktop regularly dropping my internet connection (every 5 mins). Some history first.

Have a Desktop, fairly new, bought in Jan, 2.0Ghz P4 etc etc, running windows XP home edition.
Have a laptop, couple of years old 750Mhz P3, running windows ME.

1) The Laptop running Windows ME is fine, maybe 1-2 drop outs a month if that.
2) Have tried 2 service providers, Freeserve, and my old Tesco account, both work fine on my laptop but the desktop drops out regularly with both providers.
3) Have had BT check the line and they couldn't find a fault, bloke came round and swapped the junction box just for fun (else we would have been charged). They increased the gain on the line to keep us quiet.
4) All with a regular 56K modem set up.

So in summary it could only be the desktop (it's fairly new) or maybe windows XP (home edition)????
Just before it drops the connection a little window pops up and say something like " you have just ignored an incoming call" with a nice little pic of a telephone.

Has anyone had similar problems with windows XP, or could I just have a duff modem in the desktop/
Any advice would be greatfully received,
Thanks, Grahame.
Old 27 November 2002, 12:02 PM
mark_h
Scooby Regular

Question

Do you have Call Waiting or Call Minder on the line?
Old 27 November 2002, 06:01 PM
springbok
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,
No call minder etc. Seems very strange to me that the Laptop with ME is fine, no drop outs at all, but the desktop with XP is gving us major drop outs.
Initially we thought it may be the line at fault which is why we had BT check it out.
Any other ideas chaps? It's driving the missus mad
Cheers, Grahame.
Old 28 November 2002, 11:39 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Does your desktop have a software compression modem installed cos if so that could be your problem.Used to have a sw comp modem in my machine a while ago and it constantly dropped connections to service provider etc,etc and in the end I changed the modem for a hardware compression modem and it did the trick!! (Went through similar things to you with BT ie increasing the gain on the line etc,etc)

Good luck

Nick