Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

One for the boffin's

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2002, 07:34 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can any of you chaps help me out with a minor problem.

I've got a KT7a M/B and am running XP(which is great). When I come to power down I want to be able to click shut down and the power to go off. I used to be able to do this until I installed the new Bios drivers. Now when I click shut down I got a black screen that says" Your computer is safe to turn off" Now I've got to turn the switch off at the back of the tower or turn off the plug socket switch, which is a pain in the **** the way my pc is positioned.

Can it be done?

Cheers

The crack

[Edited by bumcrack - 11/25/2002 7:35:38 PM]
Old 25 November 2002, 08:57 PM
==WRX==
Scooby Regular

one of two things you can do matey.

First check that your PSU and case are "ATX", this basicly means that it will out shut of the power when told too, if its just an "AT" PSU or case you will have to physicly turn off the power yourelf.

secondly check if the bios revison is the correct one for your Motherboard, even a few digits out on the serial number will make a mockery of the electronics and the power rooting protocals.
( did your PC turn off before the bios update )
Remeber it is VERY VERY bad to downgrade a bios....it never pans out.
and if all else fails....hold your powerbutton on the front of the case for 10 seconds and it will shut down....heheheh

hope it helps abit
Old 25 November 2002, 09:08 PM
Cougar
Scooby Regular

Within the BIOS you will find an option that says something such as power button and the option should be set for instant off. This will give you the functionality that you have lost.

Pete
Old 25 November 2002, 09:08 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

Check to make sure that power managment is switched on in the new BIOS. It might have installed with the defaults.

Look for a setting that says something like 'operating system APM control' or similar.

If that is toggled off XP won't issue the command to the motherboard to shut down. Note that APM has to be turned on in XP as well!
Old 25 November 2002, 09:09 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

Snap!
Old 25 November 2002, 09:12 PM
==WRX==
Scooby Regular

opps forgot to add that bit........

see above

v
vvv
vvvvv
vvvvvvv
vvv
vvv
vvv
vvv
vvv
Old 26 November 2002, 09:33 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Did XP find any drivers/new hardware when it rebooted after the BIOS upgrade?...... if it did it's possible XP has switched off its ACPI interface and reverted to a 'Standard PC' HAL, instead of the correct 'ACPI Computer' HAL.

Unfortunately this is a one way street, you cannot go back unles you re-install XP over the top of itself, once you've fixed the APM issues with the mobo.

To check this, go Device Manager, right click on the the computer name at the top of the tree and look at the properties....it should tell you what HAL the pc is running.

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2002, 09:20 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Hey Dr
You've got a great memory haven't you?
I looked in the bios before this post and it's set up correctly. Hal is indeed a standard pc in the system menu, so it looks like I'm boned. I don't want to re-install XP.

WRX, thanks for the tip, I didn't know about holding down the power button for ten seconds. I'll just have to power down that way.

Thanks for the input guys

[Edited by bumcrack - 11/26/2002 9:23:00 PM]