Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can I use my XBOX with ISDN?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2002, 08:07 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Unfortunately my town is one of the many forgotten by BT in its broadband plans (Grr, b@@dy BT!), I dont have access to cable or any other broadband supplier.

I do however have ISDN, so anyone know if I can connect to the free service (not microsoft) via the ISDN link. I play online with the PC regularly and ping is pretty good for most uk servers so I'm wondering if its viable with the Xbox or will performance be so bad as not worthwhile.

Any comments?

cheers

Rich
Old 25 November 2002, 04:34 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Good question.... I was thinking that too...

Someone must have tried it...

Ids
Old 25 November 2002, 06:26 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

For the sake of a £10 network card its probably worth a go.

I know poeple were playing halo online via a gamespy plugin and other free servers exist as posted in other threads.

I'll see if I can find a spare card in work.

Rich
Old 25 November 2002, 08:47 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Wink

In theory with an ISDN router your XBOX will be able to access the Internet. You could also consider running the XBOX through a PC with an ISDN terminal adapter using xbconnect software.

Speed wise, you will be at a slight disadvantage. You just have to be or become a good games player instead of being one of those people (if not all of them ) who have no skill but have broadband
Old 26 November 2002, 09:54 PM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Nope, Xbox website states only DSL or cable is fast enough. Xbox live will not allow you too access their servers if your ping rate is too high.
Old 26 November 2002, 10:56 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

I would not be attempting to join XBox live servers but some of the other independent servers.

Also I dont think the ping would be too high, although broadband gives a clear bandwith advantage actual latency is not much better than ISDN (and often worse).

Playing PC games I usually have pings around 70 and lower on uk servers (half-life, RTCW, Unreat torny etc.).

I think for the small outlay its got to be worth a try (and better than waiting countless years for BT to get their act together)

Rich