Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Moving to rural village, no ADSL any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2002, 02:03 PM
Harry Potter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi, I am moving to an isolated village, I won't say where as I have been targetted by car thieves and conmen via the internet in the past

Anyway my current London ping is <15ms and ADSL downloads are fantastic. I fear returning to dial ups.

What is the next best thing to ADSL?

I once read about satellite downloads being quick but uploads were slow via POC wires.

I really want to be able to beat Mr Footlong, Pete, Steve, Mark and Topcat in FPS games (especially in the winter as I am a fair weather angler/horse rider these days )

So solutions for speedy internet access in "A village that time forgot"!

TIA Anders
Old 17 November 2002, 02:06 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in this too. Got 1mbit cable atm, but soon to be moving out into "the sticks" Really dont think i could cope with a god-awful modem!!!
Old 17 November 2002, 03:27 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I would love for you to challenge me on Battlefield mate. Pete too, but you hardly ever come on anymore and Holt hasn't even bought the proper game yet . I am very happy in knowing that I can well and truly whip him now on at least 1 game

Cheers,

Nick

P.S I hate Cental London, so I hope you like your new surroundings away from the nutter Rat Race
Old 17 November 2002, 03:27 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

satellite connection is possible, but quiet expensive and (from what ive read) subject to atmospheric weather conditions etc. (kinda like sky digital in a thunderstorm which goes a bit pants - or dies like it does at my house!).

as for beating me at an fps keep taking the tablets old timer, it aint going to happen

Just about to try medal of honour new patch if you fancy meeting me on a server
Never got round to getting battlefield properly as single player was so poor it just wound me right up!

[Edited by ptholt - 11/17/2002 3:30:27 PM]
Old 17 November 2002, 04:09 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Smile

Pete, you have to get your @rse back into 1942 darling. I didn't even bother to play the single player version.

Nick
Old 17 November 2002, 05:42 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Are you moving to an area serviced by cable/NTL/Telewest? probably not

How about moving near to a school and running some cat 5 into their IT room - are all schools not served by Leased Lines as part of JANET?

Looks like it's going to have to be Home Highway ISDN with an unmetered dialup connection
Old 17 November 2002, 06:26 PM
Harry Potter
Scooby Regular

No cable

Just showing my ignorance........I thought you could only have runs of Cat5 of upto 100m?

My village is 3 miles from nearest school and no line of site to hook up a microwave link.

How expensive is ISDN these days now that cable/ADSL has taken over in most places it is available (for home users anyway).

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2002, 06:41 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cat5 is <=100m

I think Home Highway is about £40/month inc unmetered ISP from Openworld.

How about this for some irony, We are an ISP selling Broadband and the guy who looks after our internal network can't even have it

I know he is on ISDN so will ask him how much tomorrow if no one else posts up in the meantime..
Old 17 November 2002, 11:02 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Dont do it!!!

I`m on ISDN a.t.m. and i pay £120 just for the line a quarter.You then have the i.s.p. bill ontop of that.

Ping is around 80ish, bloody annoying when your playing cablers who are pinging at 30-40! Speed wise 7.2kbs single line, 14kbs bonded.

I`m moving house soon, only i`m paying 10k extra so that i can get a house with ADSL connection, which sux i know but i`m abit of a net head so have no choice really For less money i could have a better house in a better area, but no broadband

Rich.
Old 17 November 2002, 11:06 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

LOL

My usual response to business customers at work when they ask me (I work for an ISP) what they should do to get broadband is "move premesis"!!!
Old 17 November 2002, 11:29 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Depending on the village, a wireless solution might be possible.

Any hints as to where you are going to move to?

Steve.
Old 17 November 2002, 11:39 PM
Harry Potter
Scooby Regular

Its in a valley No vodafone, O2 or Orange. Just about get T mobile.

Nothing on the crests of the hills but established ancient woodland.

Whole area is conservation++++ so no towers allowed up for mobile let along microwave line of site etc.

Do they offer satelite along the lines of Sky so it will beam vertically down?
Old 18 November 2002, 12:25 AM
ChrisB

Do they offer satelite along the lines of Sky so it will beam vertically down?
Yes, but two things...

1) the cheapest sat offerings still use a dial-up link for upstream

2) 'proper' 2-way sat links suffer from dire ping times due to the distance being travelled. My tests on a sat link showed pings to our server in Telehouse being anything from 700 to 1000ms. The equipment I've worked on is not cheap in the slighest either...

It's not for a gamer IMHO, the latency is too high. Just a fact of the technology.

[Edited by ChrisB - 11/18/2002 12:26:13 AM]
Old 18 November 2002, 07:47 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Its in a valley No vodafone, O2 or Orange. Just about get T mobile.
LOL Harry.

U moving to the moon or summat m8e

dont do it, i am looking for a house atm and wherever it ends up being it will have ADSL & Cable available so i can choose which one i want.

i am currently living in the sticks on deepes darkest dartmoor and i get a 37,666 connection on my 56k modem at the best ! oftens its 31,200 or 34,000.

had isdn before which was a definite improvement......counter strike pings were 100 average although most people seem to be able to get morelike 70 with isdn.

download speed was only 6-8k second. cr*p compared to broadband but much better than the 2/3 second i get on 56k

satellite is horrendously expensive and no good for gaming at all.

wireless mite be a possibility ?
Old 18 November 2002, 09:03 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Home Highway the best bet.

Currently £21.27 + VAT /MONTH + £13.99 / Month Unmetered ISP.

Given that for just a PSTM Modem you pay £7/month line rental + the ISP that means its actually only £15/month or so more for ISDN.

Downside is that will only give you 64K. ISPs who offer 128K ISDN are starting to appear but are still expensive. 64K ISDN is fine for most games (UT C/S etc). I use 128K ISDN (through work) for BF1942.

I use fat work pipe to download and take it home on the laptop

Deano
Old 18 November 2002, 09:07 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sweet, more Scoobynet fodder for 1942
Old 19 November 2002, 01:03 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

If you are in the middle of nowhere you may struggle to get ISDN. I was going to get it but when it came to installation day they told me the house was too far from the exchange. Can't have ADSL either, as the house has a fibre line. Can't have cable as there is no cable in the area. I live in a reasonably built up area. You can check on BT website if you can get ISDN, but it isn't always accurate as I found out. Waiting for satellite prices to come down.
Old 19 November 2002, 01:40 PM
ChrisB

IIRC,

Highway can be provided over longer distances than ISDN2.

Or is it the other way round? There's definately a difference in max range from the exchange though.
Old 19 November 2002, 02:38 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

So summing up youre screwed I'm in the same position, only options are satellite or wireless (not available yet) as mentioned [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I'm going to pamphlet big style my village and neighbouring village where the exchange is located in an attempt to hit the 200 trigger mark required by BT to convert the exchange to ADSL.
There is a little known technology called RDSL or 'reduced DSL'. It runs over existing analogue pairs and works the same as an 'Always-On' ADSL solution, but without the need to upgrade the exchange etc. It's not as powerful as ADSL, but then ADSL is only as good as the contention ration that you pay for. BT don't market or offer the services directly, but certain ISP's are wising up to RDSL and can offer the service to clients. So you never know in what, 5years time you might have broadband over your phone line Having said that if a relatively cheap 2-way sat service is launched I will snap it up. Although gaming will be pants as mentioned.

Also check out http://www.rabbit-broadband.org.uk/ might be of some use to you?
Old 19 November 2002, 06:27 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

RADSL requires no exchange upgrade if only

its just a variation on ADSL (as is SDSL) which plays with gain/bandwidth etc to get more distance. Still need kit at the exchanges

Deano
Old 19 November 2002, 09:56 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Chris, its the other way around m8.I couldnt get HomeHighay but was able to get ISDN2e.

Too far from exchange though to get ADSL even if they wer to enable the exchange!

Rich.