Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Oulook Express prob...

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2002, 09:49 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am trying to back up my work pc to a CD. I want to save the contents of my outlook express inbox. In the past I have simply copied the Inbox.dbx onto the disk. If I then reinstall Windows I have then overwritten the new Inbox.dbx with the one off the disk. When I then open my inbox all the messages I have carried over are there.
To try and get the size of the Inbox.dbx down I went through it and deleted all the unwanted messages, The problem is I cannot get the size of the inbox.dbx down to what i want. I deleted all the messages in the deleted items folder within outlook, but when i go to look at the deleted items.dbx within identities it is still over 300 meg, even though the same file when opened in OE is empty. If it makes any difference I am using OE 5 and W2kpro.

Is there something I should be doing to the OE settings. This is what I have at the moment:

Any suggestions?

cheers,

Mike.
Old 04 November 2002, 09:51 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Smile

You need to compact the folders - space freed by deleting stuff isn't actually removed until you do this. Can't remember how to do it in OE (I use outlook) but the help should tell you.
Old 04 November 2002, 10:37 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

file/folder/compact all folders.

problem solved.

thanks,

mike.