ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

FYI - EVO joins up with autoexpress

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2001, 01:05 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Auto Express, Britain's biggest-selling motoring weekly, has been joined by a monthly stablemate to create a new driving force in car magazines.

Dennis Publishing, owner of Auto Express, has taken a majority stake in Evo Publications, which produces the UK's leading performance car title, evo. Since its launch in 1998, evo has become essential reading for sports car enthusiasts. Phil Parker, publisher of Auto Express, said: "We are delighted to have evo joining us and are confident that it can go from strength to strength."
Old 11 April 2001, 01:06 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ace stuff, now we can compare the Ferrari 360 with a Renault Megane diesel.

Cool.
Old 11 April 2001, 01:10 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Oh well, EVO was good while it lasted......
Old 11 April 2001, 01:19 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Angry

Autoexpress doing performance car articles is like the Sun holding an informed debate on the single european currency.

Steve
Old 11 April 2001, 01:40 PM
geoffn
Scooby Regular

Angry

Auto Depression ? Glad I kept the old mags now. Anyone know of a decent alternative ?
Old 11 April 2001, 02:40 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

I'd wait for a few months to see the results before going into a fit of depression! Autoexpress already covers the noddy sector of the car market, why on earth would they spend money buying Evo just to turn it into something downmarket which would lose its readership?

The reasoning behind the deal is probably quite simple - Evo as an independent mag has ****e distribution and can't be bought at loads of shops. The group that owns Autoexpress has great distribution, so they can overpay 10-20% for Evo then increase its sales by 20-30% or more without altering the magazine or spending any more money - that way Evo get more money than they're worth, and Autoexpress make money too, plus it's easier for us lot to buy a copy.

I think if Autoexpress started fiddling, the Evo journos would get pissed off and leave, just like they did when Performance Car got taken over. And PC got merged, not left as an independent magazine, whereas Autoexpress is (at the moment) saying they want Evo to stay the same. As long as they don't start using cliches like "a new driving force in car magazines" they should be ok

Is everyone here a die-hard cynic? That daily commute must really be grinding you down!
Old 11 April 2001, 02:40 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Give em a chance, but if you hear of the editor being replaced, its time to move on.

And keep an eye out for new members of staff. There is a chance that this will be good for EVO as it will get wider distribution
Old 11 April 2001, 03:03 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wait and see.

It could well be fruity
Old 11 April 2001, 03:25 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by matt d:

Is everyone here a die-hard cynic? That daily commute must really be grinding you down![/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah mate i'm both, and it is......
Old 12 April 2001, 12:34 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steve Sherwen:
<B> Every magazine I've read has rated the MY01 with a few (Autocar, Car) rating it above the original.

Steve

[/quote]

And Jason Plato said it had greater handling and less understeer than the old model.

But what does he know - he doesnt write for Evo so what qualifications does he have to impress members of this forum?

Just a touring car driver.........

Jza

Old 12 April 2001, 12:44 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Evo didn't, and I thought Autocar didn't either.

You don't own a MY01 by any chance do you?
Old 12 April 2001, 11:23 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I just hope they don't start pandering to the grey suits -- e.g. rating cars highly because they've got expensive ads in their magazine.

Read an old 'Top Gear' the other day (waiting in the dealer whilst car was serviced) and unlike anyone else they rated the MY01 WRX very highly. Imagine my surprise when I found, a few pages before the article in question, a two page Subaru advert,
Old 12 April 2001, 11:32 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by carl:
<B>Read an old 'Top Gear' the other day (waiting in the dealer whilst car was serviced) and unlike anyone else they rated the MY01 WRX very highly. Imagine my surprise when I found, a few pages before the article in question, a two page Subaru advert,[/quote]

Every magazine I've read has rated the MY01 with a few (Autocar, Car) rating it above the original.

Steve