Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NTL Cable Router

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2002, 04:12 PM
Dave G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone can recommend a cable modem/router for NTL that will give me this configuration:

I want to run a router at home to completely mask my internal network and provide a permanent MAC address for DHCP. My internal network will use it's own firewall inside the router. At present, everytime I use a different server as a firewall (something I mess with a lot) I have to wait for my current DHCP lease to expire to obtain a new IP (this is how NTL have things configured). In future I can then change what I like behind the router and not worry about DHCP issues.

Ideally I would also like a router that supports UPnP firewalling so it will hopefully allow me to use Messenger for video and audio from my private network.

But here's a catch. I actually want to run public IP on my firewall itself as I use a dynimic DNS agent on my firewall that updates my DNS record if/when my IP changes. To do this I would need to configure my router as a bridge so it would need to support this, but if I do what MAC address will be reported to my DHCP server, my router's or my firewall?

And finally, does anyone know if I bought a cable router whether or not it replaces my cable modem or sits inside it.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 01 November 2002, 04:32 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Cant help on all your questions, but heres my tuppence worth.

Netgear do a couple that will report new IPs to a DDNS.I'm using the FM114P (which has integrated wireless access point too). Acts as a DHCP client for the WAN and DHCP server for the LAN.

AFAIK the IP reported to DDNS will be the NTL allocated (WAN) address.

The WAN port of the CM Router connects to the Cable Modem, there are then LAN ports to connect your PCs up to.

HTH
Old 01 November 2002, 06:28 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

I'm 99.9% sure it can't be done without having a range of public ip's and a friendly isp.

It would be simpler to do what Fig suggested and get a cable router which supports ddns.

The cable router is separate(sp?). You still need your cable modem.

I way I have done it, is to have 2 nic cards configured with the same mac address. But I also heard that the cable modem will talk to 2, maybe 3 different mac address. Have to check that one out.

H
Old 01 November 2002, 09:11 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Cable modem will deffo accept 2 MAC addresses, you need to swap cables then cycle power to accept the second address. Dont know if they will accept more than two.
Old 01 November 2002, 10:06 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Er....news to me, at least with Motorola Surfboard cable modems. They latch to just one MAC address as far as I know. You don't just cycle the power either on them either. You have to press the master reset in the back of the unit.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 01 November 2002, 11:05 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

My Motorola Surfboard modem on NTL just requires a reboot to accept a new MAC address. I"ve never pressed the reset switch.

I also use a netgera cable router and the dynamic dns service at dyndns.org
Old 01 November 2002, 11:06 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

My Motorola Surfboard modem on NTL just requires a reboot to accept a new MAC address. I"ve never pressed the reset switch.

I also use a netgear cable router and the dynamic dns service at dyndns.org

[Edited by michael_clarkson - 11/1/2002 11:07:18 PM]
Old 02 November 2002, 01:15 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Mr Footlong. That was the case with NTL CMs until about 3 months ago. They now accept 2 MAC addresses by power cycling. Used to have to master reset or leave unplugged for a few hours until the memory chip cleared.
Old 02 November 2002, 02:43 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

DaveG

Interesting. My home network has win2k server on one pc and a combination of win2k and XP on 4 client pc's.

I use a surfboard cable modem that ntl suppled about 2 years ago through a usb cable modem router by Linksys "model BEFSRU31". This will allow you to use Upnp, which I use to allow my chipped Xbox to play online games through XBConnect.com

I use the DHCP server from my Win2k server and disable the DHCP server option within the router.

Basically the router becomes your NAT firewall and can also use zonealarm if you wish. I give it a fixed IP address (192.168.1.1) and my server has a fixed IP address (192.168.0.1) and i get the server to asign address to a range (say 192.168.0.10 to .20) but my server will use the IP adress 192.168.1.1 as the gateway to the internet.

This will completely mask your internal network but I can't figure out why you need a permanent MAC address for your DHCP server as it only needs to know which gateway address to use.
Old 02 November 2002, 08:41 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Angry

LOL! Well I haven't been using NTL cable for over a year, so shows what I know about them now!

Cheers,

Nick