Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Modem & Printer help

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2002, 01:58 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right first of all, my friends printer will not work. It says, There was an error writing to \\MASH\Lexmarkz for printer. The network printer is no longer available, try using a diffrent printer. This printer will be set to work offline.

It is plugged in and the lights are lit up. Any suggestions please.

Also, she has had her broadband disconnected (can't aford it anymore). We just went and bought a connector to connect the phone line and old modem back in, to discover that her old modem may have been a separate one not built in. Think her ex has given it away, and the pc couldn't detect a modem. We now need to buy one so she can access emails etc on dial internet. Any suggestions on which one to get, she doesn't want to pay the earth.

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers

Tracey
Old 30 October 2002, 02:17 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Printer

Difficult to say not knowing how it is set up, is it connected directly to the pc or via another pc etc.

Shot in the dark would be to check all printer connections, if via another pc make sure all ok there and is switched on, maybe reinstall driver. If via another pc on the network make sure all the networking is functioning ok first.

As for a modem, if you want ease of setup then just get an external 56k modem. This will cost a bit more than an internal one but be easier, just plug in. Cheaper option is an internal modem but you will need to open up the case and install it in a PCI slot. You should be able to get a cheapo internal one for around £15 inc Vat, but it is worth paying an extra couple of quid and getting a hardware modem, the zoom ones are pretty good. External, the diamond ones are good but not the cheapest.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 30 October 2002, 02:35 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

Ken,

Thanks for replying.

That could answer the question, they had 2 pc's until her ex came and took one, so it may have been setup on the one he took. I will check that later and reinstall it on the one that is left.

Perhaps we will go for an external modem then, seems alot easy for me to sort out if it's just a case of plugging it in. I think that's what they had before they got broadband but her ex gave it away, said they wouldn't need it anymore, how wrong he was.

Thanks for your help.

Tracey
Old 02 November 2002, 09:53 AM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

Ken,

Thanks very much, just to let you know we bought an external modem, connected it up and now is running very nicely.

As for the printer, we are stumped. I uninstalled and then re-installed. I checked the cartridges, both are full and have the bits of paper taken off. We tried to print out a document and the printer takes the paper and carries on as if it is printing. Then when the paper comes out there is nothing on it, totally blank. So really haven't got a clue with that.

Cheers.

Tracey
Old 02 November 2002, 12:19 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

If the printer has not been used for a while it is likely that the printheads are clogged with dried ink.

The printer software usually comes with the utility to clean the heads (look for it somewhere like Start > Programs > Lexmark) or failing that go to the printers folder, right click on the printer icon, select Properties and see if there is a Clean/Purge printheads option.

Good luck.

Old 02 November 2002, 01:14 PM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Also wotrth downloading the most recent drivers from lexmark (win xp) will do this automatically, just incase they have been corrupted..........

Old 02 November 2002, 04:40 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

I don't think it has been used for a while.

I'll try those things when I pop around her house next.

Thanks.

Tracey