Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL Line Test Failure

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2002, 12:55 PM
Dave G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moved into a new house a few weeks ago and ordered ADSL from Nildram. Just heard back and BT have cancelled the order because the line has failed the test. Any suggestions where I can go from here? Is there a way around it? I had the same problem in my old house, but NTL was there so went with that. Where I am now, there's no alternative.

TIA,

Dave
Old 17 October 2002, 01:52 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I can think if is for you to ask BT to retest the line.....
Old 17 October 2002, 02:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Ask BT to replace the wire running from your house to the pole, it degrades with age and they are suppose to be replaced at 10 year intervals but in most cases are not (due to the poles being dodgy and costs).
Hopefully its just the wire that needs replacing and i take it you are within the specified distance from your local exchange?

Tony
Old 17 October 2002, 02:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Check your availability here

http://www.bt.com/btbroadband/ns_availability_check.jsp

Tony
Old 17 October 2002, 03:18 PM
Dave G
Scooby Regular

No issues with availability I'm afraid, well within range of the ADSL exchange I am on .

Cheers,

Dave
Old 17 October 2002, 06:25 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Im in the same boat as you. Spoke to various people within BT & the result was nothing could be done. Oh well look like i'll have to stick to snail rate 56k
Old 17 October 2002, 11:11 PM
bella
Scooby Newbie

Dave G & BL,Check if your bt line is underground or over,I might be able to run some new for you, It could just be your internal wiring thats coming from the termination box,either outside or in,I work in Telecommunications so running some new might be an option,I was up in reading monday,Shame i did,nt know then i would have popped in for ya to take a look,let me know anyway,

Cheers Bella
Old 17 October 2002, 11:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I shall point this out once again
The probability is that its the line from your house to the pole, this is suppose to be replaced every 10 years as it corrodes (yes even with the coating on) and thus your signal has more resistance (thus worse reception) Just get them to change that wiring that should do it

Tony
Old 17 October 2002, 11:17 PM
bella
Scooby Newbie

Cool

What if there line comes in underground?
Old 17 October 2002, 11:23 PM
bella
Scooby Newbie

Angry

I shall point this out one more time
very original,You must work for BT
Old 17 October 2002, 11:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Still decays, its the fact that before the wire was treated it was subjected to the atmosphere and also that no wire/covering is ever going to be 100% proof
No doubt if its underground (which i havnt really seen many of cos its a pain in the *** to fix ) then it gives the engineer something to do
I wouldnt have thought that it would have been the cabling from the junction box back to the MDF though, screwed if it is

Tony
Old 17 October 2002, 11:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

No i just put exchanges in for a living (and some other stuff before that )

Tony
Old 17 October 2002, 11:43 PM
bella
Scooby Newbie

Wink

definitely BT then, Respecttttttttttt, done in ali g voice.
Old 18 October 2002, 02:46 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Dave

So...if they're friendly neighbours and really that close...set up a wireless network in one of their houses (or even put a bit of Ethernet cable between them and you) and share the connection. Pay them half the monthly rental and everyone wins

A top tip brought to you by...
...MartinM
Old 18 October 2002, 03:08 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

I have to wait 42 days for BT to have any information on my phone line i.e. they think it doesn't exist

fergus.crockett@bt.com is
Director of Customer Relationships

Lots of download only satellite options coming soon e.g. http://www.insonetric.net are doing £30 a month broadband - with £250 installation - uploads are via an ISP tho.

Old 18 October 2002, 03:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ok, ill quickly run though this
The probability is that the most exposed part of the line is where the fault is (ie from the pole to your house) but you can have other problems in between.
As a quick reference this is how your phone is attached to the exchange.

From your house, you have your box in the house which runs up to an external point where a wire is attached, this wire then runs off to the pole which in turn runs to the junction box.
From this junction box a multi core cable runs back to the exchange (thus if its this thats faulty then your screwed ) to a frame called an MDF (Main Distribution Frame).
This frame then has (dependant on which system your running from, system x or system y) an 8 pair cable to a connection on a LIC (line interface card if i remember correctly). Your fault could be on this card, most of these have been in there years (and i mean years, ie on average over 5 but upto 15!) so this could be a problem (but i doubt it as the system auto checks these).
You wont have any dry joints between the LIC and the MDF (if system y is used, AXE10) as these are all gunned on, the point leading off the MDF will also be gunned on so no chance there (unless its a bad wrap but even then the line test should pass it within reason) so that basically puts it down to between the exchange (subterrainian cablling) or from the pole to the house.
BT should be able to test from the junction box to the exchange, that shouldnt be a problem but they dont have as many external guys as they use to so they can be stretched a little thin so due to time its not a viable option
The cable from the pole to the house though is the most likely due to the fact that the plastic coating does wear, it eventually gets brittle due to heat and cold (and birds etc) so will crack and water will seep in (then corrosion etc) This is why they are suppose to change the cable every 10 years, and this is most likely the problem
All you can really do is bug them again and again, eventually they may give in to you (just say your lines very noisy )

Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 10/18/2002 3:14:25 PM]
Old 18 October 2002, 03:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Should just quickly put this bit in
If they say to you that the line sounds good whilst talking to you, say thats because its been converted from Analogue to Digital and back to Analogue, where as your getting Analogue back from the exchange and the lines degrading there that should baffle them enough

Tony
Old 18 October 2002, 11:18 PM
Dave G
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone for the advice, esp Bella and Tony. I'm actually in Sandhurst now and checked availability before buying the house. Everything was fine then, but just checked again and now it says I'm on the edge of the ADSL so may or may not be able to get it!

I think I'll end up getting ISDN and seeing if this can be upgraded to ADSL. Am I right in thinking that if I order a new line for ISDN they will install a new cable into my house?

Cheers,

Dave
Old 19 October 2002, 12:23 AM
bella
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

No dave they wont,BT would,nt no its **** from its elbow,I have been waiting from 12.00 today untill 6.00pm this evening in essex for two,yes two,monkeys,and that dose,nt include the monkeys at the exchange to convert analogue lines to 4 ISDN2e Circuits.Not to hard me thinks but oh no every time i do a change over on customers premises,BT **** up,In a word F---ing ****e they r,About as useful as a CHOCOLATE SPOON, Anyway getting back to ISDN,they will just use same wiring,hope this helps,
Old 19 October 2002, 05:38 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

http://www.btofaq.net/articles/intro/failed.html
Old 19 October 2002, 06:42 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Bella

You have a BT guy doing his best to help people with info here, and yet you still feel the need to abuse BT in general and therefore by clear implication him. Get a life. If thats your attitude on the phone I'm not surprised you're not getting much help.

if you speak the same way you type I'd be surprised if they even know what you wanted

Deano

[Edited by dsmith - 10/19/2002 6:43:49 PM]
Old 19 October 2002, 08:15 PM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

My advice is to report a fault on the line but do not REPEAT DO NOT mention ADSL.

BT is required to give you a line that is capable of voice, and a minium data speed (forget what speed it is, but its slow, 19.2 perhaps?) If its not capable of anything beyond that its not thier problem.

now, if there a fault on the line thats affecting voice use, then the are obliged to do something about it.

I failed the first line test, reported a fault, week or so later I passed a line test (no idea what they did, but noone came out so possibly an adjustment at the exchange end) and if it doesn't work - well it was worth a try right?
Old 19 October 2002, 08:31 PM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

Oh, one more point, are you sure your're less than 5.5km from the exchange - remember this refers to line length and often the line "goes round the houses" to reach you.

Rather than take one line from the exchange to each house, theres a big line that leaves the exchange and it heads towards the greatest mass of houses, then smaller lines split off it.

In other words the line form the exchange may actually head in the opposite direction from the exchange before spliting down to the line that serves your house. Line length can be much more than the distance to the exchange.

Old 20 October 2002, 12:57 AM
bella
Scooby Newbie

Wink

DSSmith or whatever it is, you must work for BT to, No shame on you,