Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NTL Cable Modem + Win 2000 question

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2002, 11:08 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

OK - anyone tried this? I have an NTL cable modem with a 512K line. Connected to this via hub is my PC running Win2000, personal firewall, AV software etc etc.

We will soon be getting a new remote access solution for work that will allow us to connect via an IPSec client. What I'd like to do is turn my PC into a DHCP server and allocate a private IP address to my work laptop, which will also be attached to the hub. IPSec session would be establised from my laptop via the Win2K PC.

Does anyone know what restrictions that NTL has in place regarding the number of IP addresses that can be allocated etc Do they track port numbers and sessions to stop people doing these kinds of setups?

Any info or suggested alternative setups appreciated.

Chris
Old 19 September 2002, 11:13 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

This info might be useful.

When my NTL died i rang up NTL and i said oh yeah the error could be my router.

They turned round and said, Were not allowd routers just one pc. They said they'd monitor peoples connections and limited them if they thought they were breaking the contract.

Si

[Edited by super_si - 9/19/2002 11:13:49 AM]
Old 19 September 2002, 11:14 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

You have a couple of options here Chris,

One is to get a Cable Modem Router, with a buit in hub. THe other is to put 2 network cards in yout current PC and enable Internet Connection Sharing.

Ian
Old 19 September 2002, 11:37 AM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

I use a Netgear Cable/DSL router with my NTL cable modem and use a Ciso VPN client to connect back to the companies network.

The only issues I had was with NAT and the original CISCO client tried to use port 80 when you enabled NAT transparency and these packets got gobbled up by NTL's transparent web caches. Later version of the Cisco client allowed the user to define a different port, and it's worked fantastically well ever since no problems.

Some cable/dsl routers availble today also support IPSEC and PPTP either directly in HW or support it's use by clients by allow the UDP 500 packets etc to pass through.
Old 19 September 2002, 01:11 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Be very careful in regards to VPN over NTL. I read there T&C's recently and noticed it has changed. You are now allowed to run servers off your cable connection but cannot use VPN now

In regards to the router, the T&C's says something like you can run a maximum of 3 machines from your connection. But they can't really find out

H
Old 21 September 2002, 07:06 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys very useful info.

I find it strange that NTL would not allow a VPN connection? Perhaps they have another motive?

Cheers
Chris