Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win XP Home Lost Key

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2002, 04:12 PM
MrDeference
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah. On the case somewhere will be a little sticker. OEM manufacturers are required to put them on the box as a condition of the licence. This will have the number required printed on it.

EDIT - re-reading your post. Is this the sticker that you have lost? Many of the OEM disks won't need the code if you plan to reinstall (Dell falls into this bracket IIRC).

[Edited by MrDeference - 9/6/2002 4:14:23 PM]
Old 06 September 2002, 01:06 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

If I have Win XP Home installed on a PC and have lost the product id sticker can I get the number from the installed version somewhere ? Or can I get a copy from Microsoft - I have the receipt for the PC and OS.

This has stemmed from a problem with the print spooler, have followed all of microsoft guidelines but still can only get a test page. Can't reinstall driver or get it to print from an application. If I could get round this then product key not an issue.

Can anyone help ?

Cheers

Ken
Old 06 September 2002, 01:17 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I think if you have the product ID sticker (that comes on the box) with the hologram, then that's your proof of purchase, and Microsoft will help you out.

Try giving their support a bell.
Old 06 September 2002, 03:41 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

drop me a mail, and i might be able to sort one out for you
daren65@hotmail.com
Old 06 September 2002, 04:25 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies.

It is the sticker with the number on that is gone. XP has asked for this number on reinstall. I have other copies of XP with different numbers but don't want to use one of these because of the activation. The original number is already activated, don't want to use a new number because I will want to activate the other copies on other PCs.

All I am trying to achieve is to get the printer working again. I have narrowed it down to a problem with the spooler and have followed all the MS instructions in the knowledge base to try and resolve it but still the same. Given that it worked OK when I first installed everything I expect a reinstall should sort everything out.

Cheers

Ken