Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Java WMA SMS Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2002, 09:40 AM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Bit techie long shot but here goes !

Anyone done anything with Javas WMA with GSM SMS text messaging ?

Sorry couldnt get anymore TLA's in the question.

I'm looking for a UK provider that supports JSR 120.

T.
Old 04 September 2002, 02:43 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

Surely this isn't an provider/operator issue, but rather an issue for the device/handset manufacturers.

The providers SMS infrastructure doesn't change, but handset manufacturers need to produce handsets with WMA implemented. So far I've only seen manufactures implementing their own device specific extensions, which makes cross platofrm J2ME development a bit tricky.

Michael
Old 04 September 2002, 03:25 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah after further digging - I actually want to send SMS from a J2SE/J2EE application and want to use a standard API. I thought WMA was going to be the right one - but I suspect now that it is not.

Not sure what standard stuff there is - most of the APIs involve a server + client, you use the client api and that connects to the server to send the SMS on your behalf.

More digging reqd.

T.
Old 04 September 2002, 05:49 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

You should be able to just use a GSM modem or Handset on the end of a serial cable and not bother about the Client/Server solutions.

It all depends on the volume of SMS you want to send and hence the scalabilty of the solution.

Take a look at http://www.objectxp.com/products/jSMS/

Most of the solutions on offer are commercial and hence cost money, so depending on your needs it should be too difficult to write a simple library that would take to the GSM Modem/Handset. You would only need to use the javax.comm API and the AT command set for the device and simply build up the AT commands to send the message and sens serially to the device via javax.comm

Michael
Old 04 September 2002, 07:44 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Oh its for commercial use - possibly up to I guess 1 sms a second - I was wanting something std api to sms server over vpn (maybe/ dont care - I can host my own as have a T2 dedicated to it).

I had a look at javax.comm and its not that I can do it its just that I dont want to - pay someone else for their product and just use it.

I did look at the objectxp stuff but would prefer a UK supplier - but I guess Switzerland isnt too bad.

Thanks

T.
Old 04 September 2002, 07:53 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

If your talking about that kind of throughput, you maybe better speaking to some operators about dedicated links into their SMSC's and then you have yet another choice of protocols to use.

BTW javax.comm or to give it it's full title "Java Communications 2.0 API" is freely availble from Sun.

Michael