Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ipaq Help

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2002, 10:32 PM
edzt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Help I've sh***d my ipaq while trying to upgrade the rom to 1.77
the bloody connection failed. I've now got the 'parrot of death'
screen. Can anybody tell me where I can get it fixed in the UK apart from Compaq -Ed
Old 27 August 2002, 02:11 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

When mine throws a wobler, I reset it, (little button in the base of it beneatht the little sliding door) and reload files and software again.

Andy
Old 28 August 2002, 06:04 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

There is a way of re flashing the ROM's after a failure, I'll ask the support team tomorrow. When PC's are returned to the factory with corrupted Bios we plug in a ROM blaster via the serial port and re-flash the bios.

Some Chineese bloke in the development team in Houston told me how it works but I've forgotten.

Phil
Old 28 August 2002, 06:45 PM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

If you can get hold of someone elses IPAQ and a compact flash jacket / card, you can take a backup of the other IPAQs bios & copy it back to yours.

I haven't done it myself, but I have a mate who has - I've just mailed him the link to this thread.
Old 28 August 2002, 11:51 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

I am mads mate i think

I have 4 IPAQs and have fixed this problem in one of mine. If you can get hold of a PCMCIA jacket or compactflash jacket, you can use the mystical parrot to copy a rom from someone elses ipaq to a CF card, then from the CF card to your ipaq.

If you dont have a mate with an ipaq, but you have a Compactflash card (at least 32MB) I can copy a ROM from one of my ipaqs onto it for you if you dont mind mailing me the CF card.

Of course, I would try compaq tech support first as they are used to fixing this and should have you running in no time. Basically they will get you to send them your ipaq and they will do the above procedure for you. This may cost, check with them.

The full procedure is documented here. http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/iPAQ/Parrot/debug.htm

while we are on the subject, upgrade instructions and troubleshooting guide are here http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/ipaq/...%20a%20failure

If anyone has any other pocket pc questions feel free to email me as per profile, I am a Pocket PC Software engineer and have experience with all the ipaqs as well as XDA, jornada and a few you wont have seen yet!

[Edited by Eagle7 - 8/29/2002 12:02:06 AM]