Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows 95 to ME fubar on laptop

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2002, 04:58 PM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running ME on my laptop and I want to uninstall it without c:format ! It had w95 on originally and I used an ME upgrade disk but it doesn't have the uninstall option on it.
Am I doomed??

ken

ps, when its sorted I will run 98 !
Old 21 August 2002, 05:20 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Smile

dont think there's any "un-install" from an OS upgrade. best way is to wipe the HDD and install a fresh OS.
Old 21 August 2002, 09:34 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

ME = complete rubbish (as you've discovered)

Install a proper OS like W2K/XP
Old 22 August 2002, 10:07 AM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

Correct ME is pants. XP is not much better, i would go for W2K if you have the machine power. Correct you cannot "roll back" your OS, so the best policy would be the format as this erases everything. Why are you against the formatting of the machine ?
Old 22 August 2002, 10:15 AM
TomM
Scooby Regular

To even contemplate rolling back an XP install to 95 just makes me wince!, thing is, you could do it but it would leave you with a very very unstable OS and problems with all system files, hence the machine would be as reliable as a chocolate teapot.

Iam assuming there are certainfiles you want to keep?, or is the fact that 95 drivers are hard to find for specific hardware??

Either was, as has been said I wouldnt even bother trying, you will fall out with the machine very quickly. There is no direct reverse path for this, I would suggest making a seperate partition using fdisk from dos, move any files you think you may need onto this then blat the C: drive and start again, dont even attamp to keep old system files, dll's etc etc - unless your VERY technical and know your stuff this will end in tears.

XP - not impressed
Win Millenium - crap

I only use Win2000 on my Vaio and PCs and its great, ok, its great as far as Windows goes but its the best OS Mickeysoft has on general release. Win2000 will also pick up most of the hardware on your machine if its branded.

Time to bite the bullet!!

Let me know if you need any help, believe me, I know about this stuff!!
Old 22 August 2002, 02:51 PM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

OMG ! Thanks all.
Yes there are certain files I would like to keep: lots of photos, phone unlocking software and the like. I don't have a zip drive or portable cd rw so the thought of putting it all on floppy disk ! OMG.
Problem is I have a Toshiba tecra but the screen manufacturer stopped supporting it after w98. If I run a programme with java script it screws the display. Secondly it runs appallingly slowly with ME installed, even with 256mb ram installed.
That's it in a nutshell really. Oh well, C:format here we come, as soon as I've saved files I need.

ken
Old 22 August 2002, 02:53 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

Our you from the isle of man ?
Old 22 August 2002, 03:30 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can rollback to 98 ! Well sort of. Just do a fresh install into another c:\windows DIR, ie c:\win98 then when u have setup everything, ie you WILL have to reinstall your apps, u can delete the WinME dir. Ive done this before, result equals a fresh copy of Win9x or whatever without formatting. However u obviously need a bit of disc space to achieve.

You could also create another partition n do the same, then del the WinME dir, and then merge any left over partition or space. You need partition magic though
Old 22 August 2002, 03:39 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Partition Magic - how many times has that saved my life!!!!
Old 23 August 2002, 09:26 AM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

thanks again guys. And yes, I am in the Isle of Man

ken